What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life of Aluminum Brake Lines

Vlad

Well Known Member
Is there any limits on the life of aluminum brake lines? I've replaced the brake pads recently and inspected aluminum lines I rolled almost 8 years ago. It's my sixth set of braking pads for over 2K hours. I did nothing to the lines except inspecting them for cracks and leaks. There is a visible spot corrosion on them.
Should I roll new lines on my next condition inspection? How often do you replace the brake fluid?

No life limit on aluminum brake lines. Keep on trucking!

Until 10% of their thickness disappears due to corrosion...

Polish out the corrosion and see what's left. If there is no corrosion you are good to go. :)

Vlad, as much as you fly and to the places you fly to, I would replace the lines to the calipers. Its been 8 years and you are outside, I would put new fluid in too.

Not that 5606 is the same as car brake fluid, but you dont want any moisture in them for your NJ winters :eek:

Last edited:
When and if you replace them, order a pair of braided stainless steel lines. They are a drop in replacement.

Might want to check the safety wire on the caliper bolts. Appears to be Installed as to cause the top bolt to loosen. May be the same on the bottom bolt.

Royco 782 and Viton seals,... If you are going to open system

Easily done and ups the temp resistance from 5606

Easily done and ups the temp resistance from 5606

I've seen pictures of Vlad's airplane buried in snow outside - so he might not be a great candidate for Viton - it has a much higher high temp limit, but at the expense of low temperature performance. It's great for warm enviroments, but for those in colder climes, it can lead to slave piston leaks.

Clean&Clear

I've become a big fan of "If it anit broke,Don't fix it!" If work hardening is your concern by all means replace the lines.10X your flairs per Walt's instructions.If your flushing the lines as maintenance,why not scuffy pad and clear coat them with a little rattle can for weather protection,same for the exposed brackets.No body gets more use and enjoyment out of the ship then Vlad,"He's our Rock Star" Blue Sky's and many more adventures! I always enjoy the posts.
RHill

I was looking for something else and saw this thread.

My 1955 Cessna 180 has aluminum brake lines to the calipers. It has about 3,800 hours so far. The brake lines are fine. I intend to put similar on my RV-3B.

Dave

Brake lines

I have seen a few cracks at the flair. Just had to re-do the flair on my 77 Tiger last annual. So at 41, the lines are fine again.

I have seen a few cracks at the flair. Just had to re-do the flair on my 77 Tiger last annual. So at 41, the lines are fine again.

One difference - RVs use the softer 3003 tubing - your Tiger uses harder 5052 tubing.

It may make a difference at the flairs.

Vlad, as much as you fly and to the places you fly to, I would replace the lines to the calipers. Its been 8 years and you are outside, I would put new fluid in too.

Not that 5606 is the same as car brake fluid, but you dont want any moisture in them for your NJ winters :eek:

traditional auto brake fluid is hygroscopic and aggressively absorbs moisture from the air. That moisture then corrodes steel parts (no real risk of freezing). I believe it is gycol based. 5606 is a mineral oil based fluid and does not absorb moisture from the air like glycol based fluids.

Larry

Last edited:
I had an aluminum line on my Dad's RV-8 fail during landing. Right above the fitting on the caliper. The result was a ground loop at around 45mph. Should have wrecked the airplane, got extremely lucky and a good story instead.

Inspect these lines very carefully.

DEM

Back