What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent high buss voltage, loose negative battery cable

BMW_X6M

I have the DYNON HDX set to alarm at 15 volts. Recently I got an alarm in my ear, looked at the voltage, and it was slightly over 15 volts. It normally runs at 14.4 volts and doesn?t vary. I pulled the field breaker to the primary alternator, the backup alternator took over at a lower voltage and I continued the flight home.

Upon inspection I found the battery negative cable was loose at the battery. I found a torque spec. of 80 inch pounds and torqued both bolts to that amount. I am using an AGM 30LA size motorcycle battery from BatteriesPlus in an older RV-9A with the large battery tray on the pilots side. These are great batteries and I also like the BatteriesPlus company as a side note.

Another benefit of the backup alternator is that it runs at a lower voltage in this instance. AGM batteries should be kept below 15 volts from my research. Both of my alternators are PlanePower with 1000 hours now on the primary, backup added later.

Wow! It's good you found that early. I check the torque on my battery connections (50 in.lb) during my annual condition inspection. They usually need tightening up for some reason.

Back