What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle connection OP-22?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am connecting the throttle cable to the fuelservo arm per OP-22. I notice that there is only one 5702-75-60 washer called out at the rod end bearing and a standard washer on the other end. All of the other rod end bearings show a 5702 washer on each end. Is the print wrong or is there a reason to have only one at this rod end bearing? This is on a RV 7 with IO360-M1B.

Thanks

If I recall, the 5702-75-80 is a little smaller than the outside diameter of the VA-173B spacer -- which is why they have an AN960-10 washer used between the bearing and -173B.

In practice, I think you'll find that you may need to add or remove, change bolt lengths, etc. to get the throw of the throttle cable "Perfect" -- not off to one side.

Check the throws, full open to full closed, and make sure the nuts are tight (shout out to Vic...)

Cheers!

Thanks Brian, that makes perfect sense.

The throttle cable is offset some using the called out hardware but the throttle moves from stop to stop with no problem. Should the cable go straight from the bracket to the fuel servo (no offset)? I'm not sure I can get the cable without the offset to the fuel servo without it hitting the bottom of the intake/oil pan.

Thanks

The cable shouldn't hit the bottom of the pan. Did you move the throttle arm by any chance? I seem to recall flipping it over and re-clocking it to get the right movement.

I also fabricated a different bracket that mounts to the boss at the bottom of engine in order to move the cable about 1/2" over to better clear the exhaust stacks.

Last edited:
I took another look at this yesterday. The throttle cable will not touch the bottom of the pan. I was able to mover the cable connection about 1/4" closer to the servo; now I am offset about 3/4". The cable goes stop to stop without problem. I agree, the bracket that bolts to the pan and holds the cable is the problem as it pushes the cable too far to the center causing the rod end bearing to need to move outboard a little.

Does everyone change this set up or is 3/4" offset OK?

Thanks

I think the picture shows a 3/4" deflection -- as far as I can tell with the parallax.

I found that the heat shield that Van's includes in the kit wouldn't fit between the #1 exhaust stack and the throttle cable. I think the exhaust stack from the #1 may have changed over the years...or the screw boss.

I installed the throttle cable, measured/marked and fabbed my own VA-173 to get the cable high enough (read: closer to the plenum) so I could install the heat shield.

The 3/4" lateral deflection isn't a problem -- but, if you want to, you could fab a slightly longer VA-173B spacer and use a longer AN3A bolt...

Cheers!

Back