What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how much coolant

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Anybody ever measure exactly how much coolant is in an e-lsa rv-12 ?.
I want to know if I have the right mix, I put about 2/3 gallon of 50-50 mix dex-cool after the system was flushed, but if there was water inside the block, I will have a weak mixture. I know I can measure the strength of the coolant mix, but was curious as to just how much coolant is in there.

Tom O.

Tom,

All the Rotax Manuals are available online. I am rushed this morning so don't have time to point you exactly. Do a little searching and you can find all the specs.

John

50 percent antifreeze protects to -34 degrees F
45 percent antifreeze protects to -22 degrees F
40 percent antifreeze protects to -12 degrees F
35 percent antifreeze protects to -3 degrees F
30 percent antifreeze protects to 4 degrees F

Automotive parts stores sell coolant hydrometers that have floating balls to indicate the level of protection. Make sure the hydrometer is designed to test ethylene glycol.

Tom, Check manual as recommended, and I don't know if this is your first fill of water/antifreeze solution, but if it is be careful of air trapped in the coolant system. I would suggest a 10 min. or so static warm up to cook any air out of the system. Keep your eye on the temps. and if your cyl. temp starts climbing towards 250 you need to shut it down and add more coolant after a suitable cool down time to 120 or so.
dick seiders 120093

I took it for a 30 minute ride, and all temps were stable. I will pull the cowl and check fluid level.
couldn't be more pleased with the cooler temps with this coolant.

Tom O.

Back