What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Wheel Pant

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Started working on my wheel Pant this past weekend. The 12 has an outstanding kit compared to the 8 or 10. Vans needs to incorporate this design into the other aircraft.

Started working on my wheel Pant this past weekend. The 12 has an outstanding kit compared to the 8 or 10. Vans needs to incorporate this design into the other aircraft.

It was incorporated into the RV-14.

Rolling back into older designs with different landing gear designs would be a bit more challenging though.

I love the RV12 wheel pants and feel they do add a couple of knots to the cruise speed.

That said, it would good if they could modify the fairing with a latched flap or leave a section open so as to both inspect the brakes and make putting air in the tire a lot easier.

I can't modify my SLSA but it would be nice if Vans could adopt any such mods that skilled builders have designed and developed.

Unscrewing some 15 small screws to remove each wheel pant rear half takes maybe 2-3 minutes. Seems a small price to pay to be able to thoroughly inspect one's tire tread, brake linings, check tire air pressure, check for caliper fluid leaks, etc. My original tires seem to consistently lose about 2-3 pounds of pressure every 3-4 months. Considering the the importance of the brakes for steering the RV-12, regular checking of the brakes seems reasonable. My two cents! :)

I love the RV12 wheel pants and feel they do add a couple of knots to the cruise speed.

That said, it would good if they could modify the fairing with a latched flap or leave a section open so as to both inspect the brakes and make putting air in the tire a lot easier.

I can't modify my SLSA but it would be nice if Vans could adopt any such mods that skilled builders have designed and developed.

Roger that - I've had my pants (wheel that is) off 4 times in 3.5 months thanks to summertime air loss and desire to inspect the brakes/wheels/tires/nosegear...

Once the front half is off (for tires), i take the 4 screws out to check brakes while I'm at it...

If you have to add air every month then you probably have a slow leak (valve stem?)
The leak stop tubes that are used now have a very slow leak down rate. It is common to only have to add air every 4 months or so.

After suffering a flat tire because I taxied on a low tire, I have added a row to my maintenance board to check air pressure every 3 months. They usually just need a small jab of air.

I use tube extensions to check the air. I drilled a one inch hole and filled it with a chrome snap plug. I only remove the wheel pants during the condition inspection.

After suffering a flat tire because I taxied on a low tire, I have added a row to my maintenance board to check air pressure every 3 months. They usually just need a small jab of air.

I use tube extensions to check the air. I drilled a one inch hole and filled it with a chrome snap plug. I only remove the wheel pants during the condition inspection.

Do you fly with the valve cap removed? If not how do you get the cap off easily, even with the 1" hole, without removing the pant anyway?

Do you fly with the valve cap removed? If not how do you get the cap off easily, even with the 1" hole, without removing the pant anyway?

I've had good luck (with our motorhome) using a piece of fuel tubing of a size that will fit snugly over the valve stem cap to remove and replace the cap.

Jim

All aircraft valve covers that I have seen have a hex head, and are usually yellow. I just use a nut driver to remove, and install the cap, going right through a 3/4" hole. Works great!!..............Tom

Back