What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS-2020 and Enroute IFR Capabilities

todehnal

Well Known Member
I have been watching a post on the Dynon forum regarding the new GPS-2020 that Dynon is offering The question was posed about the possibility of enroute IFR capabilities. However no responses have been posted there, so I thought I would give you guys a try. It would seem that if this GPS receiver passes the ADS-B standards, that it can't be far from meeting the requirements for enroute IFR Sure looks feasible, a lot more simple, and way less expensive than a adding a 430. Wow!! That would surely take Dynon to the next level. It doesn't hurt to dream. Any thoughts out there, and what am I missing??.........Tom

I have been watching a post on the Dynon forum regarding the new GPS-2020 that Dynon is offering The question was posed about the possibility of enroute IFR capabilities. However no responses have been posted there, so I thought I would give you guys a try. It would seem that if this GPS receiver passes the ADS-B standards, that it can't be far from meeting the requirements for enroute IFR Sure looks feasible, a lot more simple, and way less expensive than a adding a 430. Wow!! That would surely take Dynon to the next level. It doesn't hurt to dream. Any thoughts out there, and what am I missing??.........Tom

Tom...your question has been on the minds of thoughts following this change in not only Dynon, but also Garmin (both have solutions to the ADS-B mandate which essentially narrows the corridor down from 60 meters to 1 meter wide)....if this is the case. Logic would be (at least in many feeble minds), tie this into our nav system...and voila....in route capable system...be it ifr or whatever����. Don't think the "big!" Boys want to let us have a "less expensive system"!

Last edited:
If only it were that easy :rolleyes: Here the 2020 on its own won't meet the IFR near future requirements however right now if you have a Tso 129 A1 navigator it's ok for IFR & maybe the 2020 unit will suffice for the ADSB out only.

However at present the only Navigator that we can use, in the near future ie Feb 2017, is a Tso 145/146 unit - I'm guessing that's the way it will be there. In other words, you will not be able to use a 2020 antenna on it's own, there has to be a Navigator with a current database.

It never ceases to amaze me that the FAA will approve a VOR approach with a 26 mile distance from The VOR to the MAP with a 1 mile minimum knowing a VOR can be 4 degrees off, but they don't let us shoot the same approach with GPS unless specifically authorized. In a pinch I'd believe the GPS.

Tom,
What you are missing is that a IFR GPS is not just a GPS, it's a navigator, which means all the databases, calculations, and displays also need to meet the TSO standards.

We have a whole document on this from 2013:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1362597418

It sure would be nice, but just having a great GPS position source doesn't get you that close.

Last edited:
Tom,
What you are missing is that a IFR GPS is not just a GPS, it's a navigator, which means all the databases, calculations, and displays also need to meet the TSO standards.

We have a whole document on this from 2013:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1362597418

It sure would be nice, but just having a great GPS position source doesn't get you that close.

Thanks, very much. I understand. It doesn't seem fair, when I have an outstanding Dynon navigator that will probably run with the best of them, but I get it. I'll just enjoy it, and continue to use it on our VFR flights. Great commentary in your link, by the way..........Tom

Last edited:
Back