What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 in RV-12

Handclutch

Well Known Member
Has anybody put a GNS 430 in a 12? I might be able to get a used one soon at the right price. Need a certified nav source for NVFR (Australian Experimental category). Not even sure it would fit as I didn't build the aircraft but looks deep enough. Certainly tempting as I have been flying behind one for years1

I have a 430 and should have the panel put together this weekend. I could loosely mock it up to see if there are obstructions. I may end up putting it in or going with a GTN if the money holds out. I would avoid buying a non WAAS - Garmin won't service those without the upgrade to WAAS. When I bought mine there wasn't that much price difference between what was being sold used.

If it makes sense I'll post some pics.

I installed an Avidyne IFD 540, which uses the same rack as the GNS530, and a Garmin GTR200 in my 12. The 540 rack is a tight fit length wise, the four 90 deg coax connectors are about 1/2" from the firewall when installed. I designed a new instrument stack mounting plate to replace the original F-00026-R/L and F-00027-R/L brackets. If you are going to use the Nav side, plan on room for mounting a diplexer and an extra set of cable running holes in the tunnel area for the Nav and GPS coax cables.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Here is a pic showing the fit of the GTX625 and the GTR200 in the center panel. The transponder has been relocated over to the right behind the second screen along with the GAD29 to get to all talk together. I don't have a pic of behind the panel but will take in the next few days.

i4l6rt.jpg

Garmin now has a $1000 TSO'd source for WAAS position, the GPS20A. Will that keep the bureaucrats happy even if not certified?

John Siebold

Remember only 18 amps of power availible!

I think all this innovation is great!:) But when building up your panels Keep in mind that you only have 18 amps of power available. Also when you transmit that increases amp Draw. The newer avionics coming on the market use less power than older Avionics. Also consider the future of your panel, in a few years if I add something is it going to push it beyond the 18 amp limit? We already have a history of Voltage regulator Problems which might be linked to heat and using the max limit of the 18 amps continuously.;) Good luck innovators. :D

In answer to a few questions.

Australian bureaucrats will never be happy. They will begrudgingly accept experimental GA. I dont think that their issue is the WAAS position source but the navigation system. They would accept a NAV radio but it seemed a bit silly to install one when they are decommissioning many of the Aids. When I made my decision the Garmin gps didn't exist.

To the power requirements.
The Rotax engine install manual list 22amps at full power with 20 available at 5000 RPM. It is good practice to only rely on 80% of that for the average or long term number, so 16 amps was the limit. The table below shows the power requirements for a G3X equipped RV-12 with lights on and autopilot and power socket being used. Unfortunately i cant get the table to format correctly however the 3 columns are typical usage, maximum usage and then a column that is either the maximum value or the typical value for things that dont have a maximum.

The gtn 625 is adding an average of 1.8amps extra or 2.8ams maximum. The typical total is still less than the 16 amps.

G3x
GDU 460 (Left 2 2
GDU 460 (Right) 2 2
GTX23 0.8 3.1 3.1 Full TSO reply Rate Unlikley to be responding that frequently????
GEA 24 0.43 0.43
GMU 22 0
GSU 25 0.36 1.8 1.8
GA 26 0 0
GTR 200 0.6 3 3 Shotterm Could be higher
GSA 28 roll 0.36 1.8 1.8
GSA 28 Pitch 0.36 1.8 1.8

Nav Lights 1 2.5 2.5
Landing Lights 2.6 2.6 2.6
Boost Pump 1.4 3 3 1.4 from facet website but 3A fuse?
Accessory Socket? 2 3 3 WAG

Sub Total 13.91 22.6 27.03

GTN 625 1.6 2.8 2.8
GAD 29 0.2 0.2

Total Including GTN 625 15.51 29.83

I was discussing installing a 625 in a 12 the other day and I suggested placarding the 625 for daytime use only (no nav or landing lights) :)

I was discussing installing a 625 in a 12 the other day and I suggested placarding the 625 for daytime use only (no nav or landing lights) :)

But in Australia that would defeat the purpose of having the 625. Once I get everything installed I plan on doing some testing to work out the real power requirements/usage. One of the things that makes this hard is that I suspect that the power consumption on the screens are high when the brightness is high, an unlikely situation at night.

Back