What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco Wheel/brake upgrade

Plummit

Well Known Member
I was considering the Matco upgrade but after I placed the order Matco emailed me and said that I would also need an axle spacer and thin washer for each wheel as the RV-10 upgrade kit didn't include these. OK, but if it's necessary for the RV-10, why isn't it included in the so-called RV-10 kit? Anyone else run into this? They want an extra $100 to upgrade the upgrade....

For those who have installed the upgrade, what's your take on the performance improvement, if any?

thanks

~Marc

Last edited:
I did the upgrade, although I'm not 'moving' yet so I can't comment on the difference, but others have and their experience convinced me it was worth it. Be prepared to order a different set of tubes, as the straight nozzles on the ones in the kit ended up too close to the axle nut (for me, anyway).

Do a quick search on Matco if you haven't already...

==dave==
N102FM

Yes did it

I did the upgrade based upon the narrow private runway I am based out of, Polly Ranch, in Friendswood TX. It gives a much better margin of safety in my opinion for operations out of short and narrow runways/surfaces. Very noticeable stopping difference between factory and the upgrade. You can easily lock the brakes if you are not careful.

The Matco wheels and brakes are nicer than the stock setup, but a little tougher to maintain (less maintenance needed). They do provide a lot better braking. There are 2 ways to upgrade. If you upgrade while building, then you buy the kit. If you retrofit, then you need extra parts. If you install from the beginning, then you fit the wheel pants to the Matco setup, so the extra spacers aren't needed.

Lots of braking power, but easy to lock them up too.
If you fly your approaches at proper speeds you'll never need them, but they can come in handy on a rejected takeoff or on shorter runways.
They are very well made, and if you just look at them and compare with the Clevelands you'll already see the difference.

The run-in procedure is different than with the originals, make sure to follow the correct one.

Lenny

Thanks guys, that's helpful info. I had called Matco and asked them but they didn't do a good job of explaining the conversion with the necessary extra parts. I'll probably do the conversion soon

regards

Marc

Last edited:
Weight difference

Thanks guys, that's helpful info. I had called Matco and asked them but they didn't do a good job of explaining the conversion with the necessary extra parts. I'll probably do the conversion soon

regards

Marc

Does anyone know if there is a weight difference between the stock and the upgrade?

Thanks,

Why

While the Matco products are quality I think they are a solution in search of a problem. I have the Cleveland breaks and they provide all the breaking I need. In fact if I get too aggressive it is easy to flat spot the tires. I just don't see the reason to go to them.

Gary Specketer

While the Matco products are quality I think they are a solution in search of a problem. I have the Cleveland breaks and they provide all the breaking I need. In fact if I get too aggressive it is easy to flat spot the tires. I just don't see the reason to go to them.

Gary Specketer

The main reason I was looking at changing over is longevity. If the brakes last longer it's one less thing I have to worry about between annuals. I want to feel free to use my brakes without worrying that I may have to redo the linings before my next annual inspection. On the certified aircraft I owned prior to my RV, I could go 2 years between relining.

regards

Marc

I am not familiar with any data that the Matco breaks (sic) last longer

Gary

I think that's a good assumption, given that the Matco pads have a lot more surface area. That's why they're more sensitive, too.

But I'd like to know, are they made of a different material than the Clevelands? Why different break-in procedures?

According to Matco:

"A key feature of the WI600 Series wheels and brakes is the use of the thicker M66-105 lining to provide more wear life and greater availability. MATCO mfg uses the latest generation friction material for the longest life and best performance."

I think it goes without saying that more lining equates to long use, but I leaned to take manufacturers claims with the proverbial grain of sodium chloride, hence my question.

Marc

Back