What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon ADHARS Installation?

boearl

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi Folks, Looking to find someone that has installed the DYNON ADHARS. I?m a first time builder. I recently purchased a -7A Kit from an estate sale. Has a QB fuselage. Wings and empennage are mostly finished. Thinking I want to focus on the fuselage completion. I intend to use a Dynon quick panel, so I thought, now is a good time to work in the aft fuselage. Many Thanks, Ken

ADHRS

Hi, I mounted the ADAHRS in top of fuselage behind the bulkhead. And I installed Dynon Quick Panel. Everything seems to be working, but I'm not flying yet. Also if you want a backup you may want to add a remote compass. I ended up doing that later. Better to do it now while you are adding bracket for ADAHRS. Bracket for remote compass needs to be angled so it is orthogonal to the panel. ADAHRS doesn't. You can see it here.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=4646&log=253633&row=27

There are a lot of ways to do this. I recommend you mind the guidance provided in the SkyView install manual on location. I tend to make a shelf between longerons (RV-8) or hang from the top of the fuselage (RV-10) and attached to the adjacent rib. One option if it makes sense for you mount is to get the Dynon plate so you can stack one ADHARS module on top to the other. If you plan on IFR at any point, recommend you get both the primary and secondary ADHARS modules.

I?ve never had a need for a remote compass for any SkyView install.

Carl

remote compass

Carl
A common backup is the Dynon D6 and it needs a remote compass.

Carl
A common backup is the Dynon D6 and it needs a remote compass.

Sure - I had a single SkyView install with a D10A backup. The remote compass was not necessary but did make compass calibration for the D10A easier. Of note, just finishing an upgrade to this specific install that adds a second SkyView display. The D10A is being sold.

For a dual SkyView install the need for a backup is builder choice. I design with independent power for each display so a backup is not high on my list.

Carl

Ken,
I installed a quick panel in my -7 slider, and mounted the dual ADAHARS units piggyback in the center of the rear fuselage just aft of baggage bulkhead. I used 2 aluminum angles bolted to the longerons. There is no magnetic interference from the slider, but I did need to remake the shoulder harness cables out of stainless. Static ports are nearby, and system has worked very well. Search posts for various installation photos.

Last edited:
Carl, I read the manual and will do as the “Borg” say: “I will comply.” ��

I build a shelf similar to Dan's for a primary and secondary ADAHRS. Here is a link to that process, there are three different entries. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=9948&log=194777&row=67

If I were to do it again I would fasten the shelf to the upright supports with screws instead of rivets. That way I could perform maintenance on the ADAHRS by removing the shelf, then removing the ADAHRS units. By riveting it I had to work in that small space of the shelf to attach the ADAHRS.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=9948&log=215240&row=39

Last edited:
Simple...

I also have the Dynon adapter with the backup ADAHRS mounted on top.

MvTWwMjl.jpg

WoDNtSml.jpg

x9nH19rl.jpg

ADAHRS shelf

I built a similar shelf to Dan's. Mine is bolted with aluminum and brass hardware to the two J-stringers and the F707 bulkhead. I have a drawing of you would like.

I built a shelf up high in the fuselage that attached to the stringers for the Dynon ADAHRS unit.

IMG_1640-M.jpg

IMG_1638-M.jpg

You can pop rivet it in place after you put the top skin on.

I also built a smaller forward shelf to support the tubing.

IMG_2714-M.jpg

IMG_2716-M.jpg

IMG_2717-M.jpg

Use brass or aluminum hardware to mount everything.

If you mount the ADAHARS units towards the top of the fuselage and you are going with a slider, you will get magnetic interference when the canopy is opened. If the magnetomiters are aligned with the canopy closed you will be OK in flight, but ground ops with an open canopy will most likely result in compass error.

I mounted the ADAHARS on the top just in front of the bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment wall. I mounted a bracket large enough for two ADAHARS the primary and the back up unit to sit on it. I also used all 316 SS hardware in that area s it wouldn?t effect the magnetometer. My testing showed that the magnetometer is working fine. I am pleased with it. I also installed the Advanced quick build panel with (2) 11? HDX units and the Avidyne IFD 540 to create an IFR panel.

I literally just started doing this tonight. Here is what I came up with. This will go between the two J-stringers like many have done. Probably will use little brass screws to make it removable.

20181008_194240 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Back