What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 d4a5 overhaul manual

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am looking for a digital copy of the OH manual. The one that I found is dated 1976. I am sure there are more recent copies. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks

Look closer grasshopper!

I am looking for a digital copy of the OH manual. The one that I found is dated 1976. I am sure there are more recent copies. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks

Did you check the first few pages of the manual for updates? Lycoming doesn't just release updated manuals [very often]. The manuals were originally released as paper, in a loose leaf format. As updates were made, a notice with the updated/new pages were sent out [Letter of Transmittal or Technical Publication Revision]. You simply replaced or added the updated pages in the manual and put the update notice in the front.
Just because the manual states a certain date on the cover, does not mean that it hasn't been updated since. The last update came via SSP-1776-B in January, 2011. This last update came via SSP [Supplemental Service Publication] because it only dealt with SSP-1776 which is the Table of Limits. This is an addendum to the manual and not part of the actual manual itself. The last update to the actual manual occurred in October 2010. It changed 2 pages in the manual. Contact me via PM for more info.

Same manual for different models?

I'm starting to look for the same. I'm building a -10, have a really good chance at getting a crank and case for a D4A5 (its getting inspected now). I'd like to look at the manual also when its time for the engine to get put back together.

I found a Lycoming overhaul manual. It looks very generic. Are there specific manuals for each model?

Last edited:
Back