What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rhodes Fly-In Taylorsville GA

JDRhodes

Well Known Member
The wonderful fall weather reminded me to remind everyone here about our annual Fly-In / Brunswick Stew lunch on October 30. Check the VAF calander for details.

Taylorsville GA, 2000 foot grass airstrip.

I'd like to have a few airplane campers on Friday night. We have a couple of good spaces that you can taxi to and camp under the wing. We have a pretty good party on Friday night. You have a choice of being near the action or isolated and quiet. We'll have a nice fire - BYOB, dogs, steaks, marshmallows, etc. - or somebody will be happy to run you over to the local pizza joint for a great take out.

Lunch is Saturday at noon. We'll be cooking Brunswick stew starting about 6 AM.

Jeff Rhodes - 770-547-9676 or PM me if any questions.

Jeff,

Is there an identifier for your airstrip? I'm in north Florida and might be inetersted in showing up. Looks like 2 hours in a Starduster.

34.089621,-84.987018
googlemaps -46 euaharlee st., Taylorsville, Ga. 30178 (?)- East/West
west about 6 miles from KVPS
(sod farm with circular irrigation rig directly north)

34.089621,-84.987018
googlemaps -46 euaharlee st., Taylorsville, Ga. 30178 (?)- East/West
west about 6 miles from KVPS
(sod farm with circular irrigation rig directly north)

Euharlee St - not Euaharlee. Cherokee for "the creek next door.";)

Coordinates sound right. Halfway between VPC and 4A4.

Any obstacles on each end?

Best
Brian

There is a road (Euharlee Street) at the west end of the strip. It has power lines, a house on the other side, etc. Definitely a one way strip.

The approach end is the east with a very good approach from that direction. There is a small hump at the east end, and you are encouraged to land on the downslope past the hump, lest you find yourself unexpectedly airborne. The beginning of the touchdown zone is (may be?) marked by cones.

If you pull up google maps and type in Taylorsville, GA, the strip is very evident and runs East/West just south of a sod farm irrigated by a circular boom irrigator (also very evident in the picture). Look just north of the red "A" that marks downtown Taylorsville on the map...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Last edited:
Field Condition Update

Just to give everyone an update, if you're planning to / considering coming to our fly-in this weekend.

We had a good bit of rain in the area on Tuesday / Wednesday. But, it's dry today and sunny. The ground has been so dry prior to the rain that I anticipate that al the water will be gone by this afternoon.

So - conditions should be fine by Friday and certainly by Saturday. And the weather forecast looks fantastic - perfect fall flying weather.

Fly-in / taxi to airplane camping available. Lunch served at noon on Saturday.

See you this weekend.

Coordinates

My 396 says this when you're over the top: N 34 05.420 W 084 58.678. Land to the west. Use RIGHT hand traffic. Watch out for others who don't . Also watch out for the 1000FT AGL stacks just couple miles east of there.

What freq. are you guys using?

I hope one of the Rhodes answers but in case they do not... We used to use 123.45 there. I will sometimes announce on KVPC (123.05) just in case some of the ultralite guys are between Rhodes and KVPC. See you guys tomorrow.

! Anything in this post is superseded by what any of the Rhodes say though !

Cary,

Mike wasn't too happy about riding (B!$%h) in back of the 8, He better hurry and get that 4 repaired or he'll need to invest in some mini skirts. :D:D:D

Mike%20Fouts.jpg

Back