What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Forward Baggage Compartment Seal

flickroll

Well Known Member
I don't usually plan to fly through rain in my -8, but sometimes plans change when the weather is not quite as predicted. So at times I have gone through light rain showers. Looking at the forward baggage door on the -8, it looks like it would be impossible to provide a complete seal from rainwater, but perhaps there's a decent way to dramatically lessen seepage. Would appreciate hearing from others on what they did to provide a decent seal on this opening. Thanks

Hi Jim,

I'd have to look for pictures, but I riveted in an additional strip of aluminum (running fore and aft) that forms a lip underneath the hinge. When you open the door, it swings DOWN (on the opposite side of the hinge from the door), and when you close the door, it sits tight underneath the hinge loops. I was going to put some thin rubber on it, but never did - have not noticed a wet forward compartment after flying through rain. Might be tough to retrofit though - would change the fit of the door and/or hinge a little.

Paul

I'd have to look for pictures, but I riveted in an additional strip of aluminum (running fore and aft) that forms a lip underneath the hinge. When you open the door, it swings DOWN (on the opposite side of the hinge from the door), and when you close the door, it sits tight underneath the hinge loops. I was going to put some thin rubber on it, but never did - have not noticed a wet forward compartment after flying through rain. Might be tough to retrofit though - would change the fit of the door and/or hinge a little.

Thanks for the tip Paul. I have not noticed my baggage door leaking; however it seems like it must leak some in rain. There's just not much of a seal. I've been looking around for some sort of rubber to help seal it up. Maybe a thin weather strip material would work....

KISS

When I put items in the forward compartment that shouldn't get wet, I simply tape the joints with clear packing tape. Removes easy enough, keep the roll in the cockpit with me. Probably not the answer you were looking for but works well in a tight.

My very first flight out of phase 1 was to Oshkosh where it proceeded to pour 4 inches of rain on my new airplane (2005). I had my logbooks in the forward baggage compartment and they were soaked even though I had a windshield cover on the plane. I never even thought about this area leaking.

So, lesson learned. I placed some soft packing foam along the length of the F873G baggage hinge support (u-shaped channel under the door hinge). I got the foam from the boxes that were used to ship my RC Allen gyros. I don't know exactly what the packing foam is called, its a bit springy when compressed. At any rate, I cut a long strip of this that completely filled the gap created by the u-channel. Four years and few more OSH and LOE rainstorms and so far not a drop even when the airplane is parked outside. It's not guaranteed to work but like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Chris

Comfort foam

Seems to me VAN's recommended using a strip of Comfort Foam in the hinge channel, as Chris mentioned. It is extremely dense and doesn't let water absorb, but wedges in very snugly. I used this in my RV8 and never got water in the baggage compartment, even though it was left out in some heavy rain a few times. You can buy a tempurfoam dog pillow fairly cheaply and it will provide enough foam strips for all of the local RV8s.
Good luck.

The foam at the hinge was recommended to me as well. But I was also considering a custom made gasket around the rest of the door. I saw this on Dan Checkoway's site a long time ago.

He cut 2 removable access panels in his forward top skin for instrument access. Similar setup as the wing inspection panels, nutplates, a doubler instead of a joggle. Anyway, he lay some wax paper over the hole, put a bead of proseal down along the doubler, then more wax paper, and finally the cover plate.

Let it set up. then pulled it apart, trimmed the excess, and--voila--instant custom gasket. Could probably use something besides proseal. Not sure about attaching it to the door or fuse so that regular use of the baggage compartment isn't a hassle.

Just another idea.

Joe

Last edited:
baggage seal

1zy93k8.jpg

mcmaster carr double back seal stuck along the side.

Back