What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wiring from fuel sensor

I built my tank on my RV8 and installed a flop tube, I installed the fuel sender at the 702 tank baffle per instruction from Vans. I was wondering how guys are routing the wire that runs to the sender in this case.

I am just getting ready to start on my tanks also, and was wondering the same thing. I could potentially see routing it through the Z brackets if there is enough room, or straight through the spar web. The spar would make tank removal more difficult in the future if needed. I would like to see what others have come up with.

I ran twos wire along the rear baffle along the flange outside the Z-brackets to the spar end. I cap the wire with a 2pin molex connector.

Having said that, since I will be using the RedCube as a fuel transducer, I may not even integrate the fuel float sensors now the RedCube is managing the fuel level.

I ran twos wire along the rear baffle along the flange outside the Z-brackets to the spar end. I cap the wire with a 2pin molex connector.

Having said that, since I will be using the RedCube as a fuel transducer, I may not even integrate the fuel float sensors now the RedCube is managing the fuel level.

The RED cube will not tell you the true level of the fuel in the tank.... like if the cap came off and the fuel was sucked out........:eek:

"Low fuel warning" flashing on your screen is a BIG advantage.

In addition to the safety concern gasman raises, you likely won't be legal for night or IFR flight without a fuel gauge. 91.205 has a caveat in it about standard category operations, but EAA notes that typical Operating Limitations will require that equipment.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/equipping-a-homebuilt-for-ifr-operations

IMO that is a bad idea. Many reasons why you want an indication of your fuel level. Totalizers are a good tool, but they DO NOT provide a trustworthy indication of fuel remaining.

Larry

In addition to the safety concern gasman raises, you likely won't be legal for night or IFR flight without a fuel gauge. 91.205 has a caveat in it about standard category operations, but EAA notes that typical Operating Limitations will require that equipment.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/equipping-a-homebuilt-for-ifr-operations

FAR 91.205 specifies a "Fuel Gauge indicating quantity in each tank". THAT IS REQUIRED FOR DAY VFR.

Please put in the fuel senders and gauges or wire them and calibrate them to you EFIS. Your EFIS and totalizer can give all sorts of calculated numbers which MOST of the time will be very accurate. However, they depend on things like remembering to input data when you fuel up (how much did you add) and assume that nothing is leaking out (or got siphoned out)

There are enough accidents due to fuel issues. Don't risk adding yourself to the statistics. Knowing with how much fuel you have and where it is can save your life and those you fly with. The "red cube" alone simply does not reliably provide this information.

FAR 91.205 specifies a "Fuel Gauge indicating quantity in each tank". THAT IS REQUIRED FOR DAY VFR.

FAR 91.205 does not apply to Experimental aircraft except where specified in the operating limitations. This would be Night and/or IFR operations.

Read the first sentence of 91.205;
"Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates:....."

Having said that; What is legal is not always prudent!

Last edited:
FAR 91.205 does not apply to Experimental aircraft except where specified in the operating limitations. This would be Night and/or IFR operations.

Read the first sentence of 91.205;
"Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates:....."

Having said that; What is legal is not always prudent!

Mel,
Would you issue an airworthiness certificate to ANY aircraft without fuel gauges?

Last edited:
Mel,
Would you issue an airworthiness certificate to any aircraft without fuel gauges?

That is not what is in question. I was simply pointing out that 91.205 does not apply to experimental aircraft unless specified in the operating limitations.

Back