What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center arm rest/drink holder

kaweeka

Well Known Member
I just finished installing a retractable center arm rest with drink holder in my -9A. I've always want somewhere to rest my right arm but didn't want to close off an already tight space. I ran across something that Mark Phillips designed for his -7A years ago and called him about putting one in my plane. He was terrific to work with and came up with a clever, simple design that folds away when not in use that can be used as a step entering the plane. Below is a link to a short video of the armrest. Mark seems open to making more if there is any interest.

2hAGbLr

https://flic.kr/p/2hAGbLr

Armrest/step

This looks very useful. I?ve been thinking about solutions for something to step on besides the seats for entry/exit. Where is your drink holder?

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I'd guess the drink goes in the space at the front of the opening vacated by the arm when it is folded out - up near the fuel tank switch. That's just a guess, though, from the overhead video.

The front opening holds a water bottle or coffee cup at all times and a second location opens up when the arm is up. I just flew today with it and MAN, what a difference having somewhere to rest your arm. This is great!!

I could use the armrest too. Good job David! Question; the manual aileron trim how it handles? Obstructed?

Vlad,
The aileron trim is not accessible while the arm rest is in the retracted position. When extended, I can reach under and move it. I rarely use the trim and I always want an armrest so I like the trade-off.

Don,
You CAN step on it but I would only do so toward the front rather than the cantilevered rear. I'm not sure if it's that much more convenient as a step. There is some anti-skid adhesive I could put on it necessary.

I just finished installing a retractable center arm rest with drink holder in my -9A. I've always want somewhere to rest my right arm but didn't want to close off an already tight space. I ran across something that Mark Phillips designed for his -7A years ago and called him about putting one in my plane. He was terrific to work with and came up with a clever, simple design that folds away when not in use that can be used as a step entering the plane. Below is a link to a short video of the armrest. Mark seems open to making more if there is any interest.

2hAGbLr

https://flic.kr/p/2hAGbLr

Did Mark sell his 6A and build a 7A??

Back