What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

switching RV-8A to RV-8

TonyoRV3

I'm New Here
I could get a RV8A QB kit at fair price. I am not interrested in nose wheel, does anybody have done the modification to switch from nose wheel to tail dragger? I appreciate any comments

did you ask Van's?

No, can't say I have seen it done BUT Van's did the reverse so if you call them they can tell you what's involved and not involved. Ask to speak to Scott McDaniels or someone in the shop that actually did the work.

An 8A does not contain the gear towers for an 8. Not saying it can't be done but would be a lot of work. It's fairly easy to go from 8 to 8A but you would haul around gear towers you don't need.

Look at the plans

In both the preview plans and the shipped plans with the kit you get the drawings for the 8 and 8a.

The conversion would be substantial - new front bottom fuse skin, adding the gear towers, removing the steel gear weldments of the 8a and plugging the resultant hole in/near the wing spar..

Look at the tailcone too.

I think the 7 and 8 designs are close enough to draw another possible parallel.
Take a look at the horizontal stabilizer mounts for the rear spar. The shape of the structural bars rivetted to the rear bulkhead are different for A vs Non-A on the 7 and I suspect same for an 8. The A model bars are less massive because there is no need to provide support for the tail wheel assy. They could be changed, but it would involve a lot of work in a very confined space.

Back