What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Servo

RV3Kev

At some point in the future, I may want to install an autopilot system. This would involve installing a servo into one of the wings ( Right or Left ?). Looking at some pictures of some other installations, it might be a good idea to install the mounting bracket now, before the skins are riveted on, as installation after closure might be considerably more difficult.

It gets real crowded in those tiny wings. Standard is prototype on the left, so we put the roll servo in the right to even out the crowding....

Paul

Dear Paul,

I agree, right wing is better since the pitot is on the left. Where can I get the mounting bracket assuming a Garmin servo system. It might be difficult to bolt on a bracket if the leading edge is installed.

Definitely do the bracket at least and it would be best to have a servo as well to fit it all up so when the time for AP comes you can just bolt it in. I used an RV7/8/10 Roll Servo Kit from Dynon which made it pretty straight forward. This was for Dynon Servo but other brands should have similar. Right wing also...
RV 4/8 Pitch Servo Mount kit for when you get to the fuselage.
DSCF3167.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Dear Paul,

I agree, right wing is better since the pitot is on the left. Where can I get the mounting bracket assuming a Garmin servo system. It might be difficult to bolt on a bracket if the leading edge is installed.

I?d drop a note to any of the regular avionics suppliers for a bracket kit - someplace like Steinair could help.

We installed ours in Quick Build wings, so having the leading edge on was not a problem - I really don?t remember the details.

Common mod on the 4 & 6 is to put the servo out in the wingtip. Unlike the later models, there is no room to work with that single access panel.

I put the roll servo in my 6 out in the right wingtip, works very well.

Does the roll servo only get mounted in the wing or do some still get mounted in the fuselage? I have an older RV6 with a Trutrak AP, my servo is mounted in the fuselage. I'm asking because I am currently building an RV8 and I should be starting the wings next month.

Does the roll servo only get mounted in the wing or do some still get mounted in the fuselage? I have an older RV6 with a Trutrak AP, my servo is mounted in the fuselage. I'm asking because I am currently building an RV8 and I should be starting the wings next month.

This sub-forum is all about RV-3?s, which is what the OP is building. There simply isn?t room in the fuselage for a standard servo for roll.

Back