What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visiting Van's!

Rob H

Well Known Member
Well the excitement is building. My wife and I are traveling to Portland for a few days next week. The main reason for the trip is a factory tour of Van's and hopefully a demo ride, though the weather outlook doesn't look great. One thing I'm sure of is that I will be building an RV soon, I just can't decide which one. So, I thought this trip would be helpful to make that decision. To see each model up close, coupled with expert advise. Hopefully someone from Van's can spend a little time with me. I called out to the office and the lady I spoke with said the middle of the week is usually the least busy. Should I make an appointment or try to speak with a specific person?
From others in the local area, what are the must-see's while we are there? My wife is supportive of my flying, but I want her to enjoy the trip too. I've read about the Evergreen Museum and some popular stops on the web. Thanks for any help in advance.
Rob

That's how my journey begun. I ordered my emp kit in person. If you like beer , then a trip to the Rogue brewery is a must. More a restaurant than a brewery and do the beer sampler. The Colombia river gorge is a great area to visit too. Lots of great waterfalls to see.

Jay

If you want to meet some local builder pilots, and peak into some hangars here are a couple local aviation events that week;

Lenhardt is a prime grass root field a few miles from Aurora, lots of RVs and chapter 105 is Van's "home chapter".

Willamette Aviation is on the North End of KUAO...

Aviation Safety Seminar to be held on March 12 11:00~1:00 at Willamette Aviation (503-678-2252). Speakers will include Curt Cowley, Scott McDaniels and Dick VanGrunsven.

March 10 - EAA105 Chapter meeting – Christavia Project, Lenhardt Airpark, hangar 52
6:30 – dinner ($5 donation)
7:00 – short business meeting
7:20 – Becky and Bruce will present their scratch-built Christavia project.

Last edited:
"Lenardt is a prime grass root field a few miles from Aurora, lots of RVs and chapter 105 is Van's "home chapter"."

Isn't chapter 105 at Twin Oaks?

good ideas!

Rob, my main comment is; you say your wife is supportive, and that's great.
however, NEVER forget that the average spousal interest ratio is about 1:6.....that is, if you go to the Evergreen Museum, have her drop you off, and after you have been there for 10 hours, she can come back for the last two .
1:6 = marital bliss.
Additional ratios are variable, as you know, wandering around a factory outlet mall, pretending to be interested in 137 stores with the same shoes, for 6 hours, will allow you a one hour visit at a brewpub.
.....etc. etc.

your mileage, and spouse, may vary ( constantly!) :D

When I went on the Van's tour they did not have any 4s or 8s available in the hangar. Seems off because those are two of the most popular models.

Aurora Oregon is about 1 mile down the hill from Vans.

It was the very first developed town/settlement at the end of the oregon trail.
There is at least one history museum and a bunch of antique shops etc.

do NOT sit in the -14, or go for a ride!

have your wife sit in ANYTHING...6 - 8 - 7 - 9

then you two sit in the -14, and close the canopy, and have a little alone time.

I'll be SHE gets out the cheque-book! :D

From others in the local area, what are the must-see's while we are there? My wife is supportive of my flying, but I want her to enjoy the trip too.

There is this jewelry shop a bit north of Vans...........

If she is anything like my wife, this might be a good place to stop by;)

Nice diamond earnings or necklace is a lot cheaper than a plane, and the goodwill is priceless.

There is this jewelry shop a bit north of Vans...........

If she is anything like my wife, this might be a good place to stop by;)

Nice diamond earnings or necklace is a lot cheaper than a plane, and the goodwill is priceless.

My wife knows that place.... :D

Thank you Mike and Scott for the plug!

I agree, a jewelry bribe is not a bad idea. But also a good selling point is the RV and aviation's community warmth and brotherhood. It can't be beat.

If you want to see a typical RV hangar, tools and plane, or maybe an evening tour guide... let me know...

Rob, Do you want a baby fighter airplane, or is your wife going to fly with you.
If she's not going to fly a fair amount with you, you might want a tandem seat RV 8 or RV 4. (They're kinda like baby P 51's). If she "will" take cross country's with you, get a side by side seating, ie RV 6, 7, 9, 10, 12 or 14.:eek:

Just my 2 cents worth

Vans visit

Rob, about 9 years ago my wife and I were on vacation in Oregon, and since I was contemplating building an RV10, we took the $50 intro ride with Ken Scott.
With my wife in the back seat watching we departed Aurora. Ken promptly pulled the nose up to an almost 2000'/min climb, and after gaining some altitude we did some air work at 120kts and at then again at 160kts.

Since my wife understood what airspeed, altitude, vertical speed etc are, and was used to flying in a Cessna Cardinal, she was blown away at the performance of the RV10. Needless to say it was the best $50 I have ever spent. And as most everyone knows Vans refunds you the $50 when you order a kit. Can't beat that!
Good luck with whatever you build.
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Thank you for all the replies. You guys are great. I love the 1:6 ratio and the jewelry store ideas, though I've already assumed this trip will cost me a new handbag! I'm very much looking forward to the trip.

Call a few days before you go

Van's shop operations operated on a Monday through Thursday schedule several years ago. Had I known that, we would have visited on Thursday instead of Friday when we were there.

Thank you for all the replies. You guys are great. I love the 1:6 ratio and the jewelry store ideas, though I've already assumed this trip will cost me a new handbag! I'm very much looking forward to the trip.

OOOHHH, It's gonna cost ya ALOT more than that!!!! :D

Well the excitement is building. My wife and I are traveling to Portland for a few days next week. The main reason for the trip is a factory tour of Van's and hopefully a demo ride, though the weather outlook doesn't look great. One thing I'm sure of is that I will be building an RV soon, I just can't decide which one. So, I thought this trip would be helpful to make that decision. To see each model up close, coupled with expert advise. Hopefully someone from Van's can spend a little time with me. I called out to the office and the lady I spoke with said the middle of the week is usually the least busy. Should I make an appointment or try to speak with a specific person?
From others in the local area, what are the must-see's while we are there? My wife is supportive of my flying, but I want her to enjoy the trip too. I've read about the Evergreen Museum and some popular stops on the web. Thanks for any help in advance.
Rob

Call and make sure they are open. yeah they say -oh we're always open, but the day I went, they were closed, a Friday afternoon, not a holiday. So - call a day ahead. Great tour, meet the guy who puts on the blue plastic, and before you go look at the huge scrap bin. It's a guy thing. And a demo flight - priceless!

have your wife sit in ANYTHING...6 - 8 - 7 - 9

then you two sit in the -14, and close the canopy, and have a little alone time.

I'll be SHE gets out the cheque-book! :D

after you sit in the 14, get back in the 9 and look at a side-by-side comparison of performance data before you open the check book.

Call and make sure they are open. yeah they say -oh we're always open, but the day I went, they were closed, a Friday afternoon, not a holiday.

Van's is always open 7 - 4:30, Monday - Friday except for some (not all) National Holidays.

Not sure what day you were there, but the only Friday closure that might throw someone off is the Friday after Thanksgiving Day (a nationally recognized holiday).

Other than that, there is no such thing as a "hey its a beautiful sunny day, lets close early and all go to the beach" type of day at Van's.

If you are interested in seeing activity in the production shop, they are still working a Mon - Thurs schedule so don't come on Friday.

I'm planning to visit on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Is there a huge difference between the 9 and the 14? That's one of the reasons I'm visiting, to find out these things. Thanks

Is there a huge difference between the 9 and the 14?

It all depends on which difference we were talking about.
On tour day you will be able to ask all the questions you want, and get a good explanation of what all the differences are.

Exciting times for you. I suggest you do all the number comparisons in advance, so you can concentrate on the aircraft during your visit. You will have better questions for them as well. The specs and performance figures are all available on Vans website.

RV-10

I noticed from your profile you are interested in the RV-10. If you would like to see and sit in a well equipped RV-10 with the AeroSport products interior please feel free to come visit us. We are located about 5 miles east of Van's and keep the RV-10 on a 2700' grass runway.

Email: [email protected]

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Van's is always open 7 - 4:30, Monday - Friday except for some (not all) National Holidays.

Not sure what day you were there, but the only Friday closure that might throw someone off is the Friday after Thanksgiving Day (a nationally recognized holiday).

Other than that, there is no such thing as a "hey its a beautiful sunny day, lets close early and all go to the beach" type of day at Van's. (That is funny :D)

If you are interested in seeing activity in the production shop, they are still working a Mon - Thurs schedule so don't come on Friday.

Hey, I did not say anybody was lazy or bad guys, but it is a fact, I went on a Friday, and it was closed. Not a holiday. The website had been checked but not the day before I went. I had called 30 days out when the travel arrangements were made. Maybe the power was shut off or something - I don't know.

My only comment was, stuff happens - check a couple of days ahead. I went back later (with transition training) all was good, Sterling gave a great tour, I did not go on Friday. It is like a mis-punched hole, not the end of the world, step back, go at it again. No sweat!

I noticed from your profile you are interested in the RV-10. If you would like to see and sit in a well equipped RV-10 with the AeroSport products interior please feel free to come visit us. We are located about 5 miles east of Van's and keep the RV-10 on a 2700' grass runway.

Email: [email protected]

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Ya, speaking of happy wives; after Rob let Katie experience his -10 she agreed I should build again. Not so bad of a deal!

Maybe the power was shut off or something - I don't know.

I do recall one time in recent memory that there was a power outage and everyone had to leave....
In a case like that, it wouldn't matter when you checked. If the power went out between the time you checked and when you arrived there is still a chance of finding the door locked.

Back