What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview HDX Autotrim

DaveLS

Well Known Member
Previous Skyview systems required the dedicated autopilot panels to realize autotrim.

Is this also true for the HDX systems?

Why this matters to me: I would like to add the panel egress instrument handle on my legacy RV12 and have been told by Vans tech support that the autopilot control panels have a hard conflict with the egress handle on legacy RV12s. If I can realize auto trim without the dedicated panels I will do without them to get the grab handle.

Thanks -Dave

The autotrim is a separate controller within the auto-pilot control module. For the auto-pilot control module to work, you only have to plug it into the network connection on the Skyview (it looks like an old serial connection). To get the autotrim to work, there is additional wiring that must be connected.

Without the auto-pilot control module, when you are using the auto-pilot and the trim needs to be adjusted, you will get a pitch up or pitch down notification at the top of the Skyview. With the auto-pilot control module (and the included trim controller wired up), you still get the pitch up or pitch down notification, but the trim controller does the adjusting for you. You just watch the Skyview and the notification will go away.

There are other ways to put handles on the panel that individual owners have developed.

Thanks for the info John.

If you get down to Milton FL, 2R4, give me a call. Just got the fuselage on the gear.

-Dave

Auto Trim

Just to confirm, John is absolutely correct. To have auto trim with any of the SkyView systems including HDX you need the separate autopilot control panel. You still have access to all of the other functions of the auto pilot without the control panel, just no auto trim.

Back