What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Step

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Van's had revised the plans on page 26-17 to suggest taildraggers install the bracket for the step, if down the line you want to add steps. When I built mine, that note wasn't in there and I am trying to figure out if I can add the step at this point. I would STRONGLY recommend adding that in because it is a pretty big step up onto the wing and back down. It's surprising how high the taildragger sits. When I flew the prototype, it has the step, which was added after completion and it makes it really easy getting in and out of the plane, especially for us old guys. So when you get to that point, I would recommend adding the bracket, IMHO.

Agreed

Van's had revised the plans on page 26-17 to suggest taildraggers install the bracket for the step, if down the line you want to add steps. When I built mine, that note wasn't in there and I am trying to figure out if I can add the step at this point. I would STRONGLY recommend adding that in because it is a pretty big step up onto the wing and back down. It's surprising how high the taildragger sits. When I flew the prototype, it has the step, which was added after completion and it makes it really easy getting in and out of the plane, especially for us old guys. So when you get to that point, I would recommend adding the bracket, IMHO.

I ran into the same issue. I will need to retrofit the bracket and it will not be easy. It is doable just not easy.

Back