What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cherrymax for gear tower top row?!?!

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks!!

almost there, plan to rivet the upper forward fuselage skin F-821-1 on next weekend.
Removed everything i could (avionics, stick, etc..) to be able to buck those rivets from the inside.
The ones inside the very top of the gear tower still seem to be a PITA to buck.
I am planning on using cherrymax rivets for those 26 rivets (13 each side).
Plans call for AN426AD3-6 rivets, i couldn't find any #40 cherrymax so far.
I have plenty of #30 cherrymax in the correct length (sorry, can't recall the part number exactly) i am planning to use.

Talked to some mechanics in my "shop of trust", pop-rivet tool is the way to go with those cherrymax rivets.

I have seen and read couple of threads on this topic already.
Decision is pretty much made, just looking for some encouragement or showstoppers to be identified which i did not see so far.

Here is what i plan to do:
-drill those 26 holes (13 each side) to #30
-deburr
-countersink side forward fuselage skins F-820-L/R-1 (skins are already riveted on, cannot be peeled of enough to countersink the longeron F-887-L/R-1 and dimple the side skin)
-dimple upper forward fuselage skin
-use pop-rivet tool to set the cherrymax

asking for comments!!

mit Fliegergruss

daida

cherry max F-821PP

Hi Daida,

I only had to do 8 on each side, just the ones that were not accessible due to the gear tower. I can send pics if that will help, but not much to it.

The rest I pulled with a "normal" pop rivet tool. Worked fine!

I know you said you already have the rivets, but GAHCO sells a cherrymax rivet that many of us (self included) have used just for this purpose, with the body of a #30 and the head of a #40. Search the forums for "cr3214-4-04".

Installed cherry rivets in upper skin at gear tower area. Drilled out to #30 and installed 12ea CR3214 4-4-04 and 2ea CR3214 4-4-05.

committing!!!

Thanks everyone!
sometimes a decission is easier with ?a little help from my friends?!

Thanks for the advice about the existance of CR3214 4-4-X!
But as i have the other ones on hand, i will go with them, #30 shank and head.

I just have to wait for the weekend now...........

Cheers!

Mit Fliegergruss

Daida

Back