What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 650 Flyover waypoint

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
Can you designate a user waypoint in the GTN 650 as a flyover waypoint as opposed to a flyby waypoint? I created a route a flight today and I need to fly over the points as opposed to having the aircraft turn early using turn anticipation. I?ve spent an hour searching the forum and the GTN 650 pilot users manual to no avail.
Thank you

My Sporty?s IFR training videos all use the 650 and they show both modes. I know it?s possible. It might be encoded in a certain approach, like if you load the XYZ approach and the waypoint calls for a fly by, then the 650 will treat it as a fly by. But I?m not sure how to manually specify this when entering a flight plan.

G3 Flyover wypt

G3X guys any help here?

I agree and I have flown approaches with flyover waypoints that were coded into the approach. My issue is I need to create a route of flight with flyover waypoints. There will be a 30 aircraft honors flight with 174 mile route coming up. I’ll be leading a section. There are 27 different points on the route of flight that we need to fly directly over as opposed to turn anticipation .....sometimes a mile or two too soon. I can make it happen by going heading select at the last minute but I would prefer to not have to do that. I won’t be on auto pilot but the steering guidance would be helpful.
G3X guys any suggestions

Waypoint Transition Mode

Can you designate a user waypoint in the GTN 650 as a flyover waypoint as opposed to a flyby waypoint? I created a route a flight today and I need to fly over the points as opposed to having the aircraft turn early using turn anticipation. I?ve spent an hour searching the forum and the GTN 650 pilot users manual to no avail.
Thank you
Bob,

Don't forget that you have 2 GPS navigators in your G3X Touch aircraft. Not sure about the GTN, but when you use the G3X Touch Internal flight planning, you can adjust the leg-to-leg transitions to essentially disable turn anticipation.

Page 48 of the Rev. M G3X Touch Pilot guide describes the Navigation setting (Menu, Menu, Setup, Navigation) for the "Waypoint Transition Mode".

If you change this mode from "Auto" to "Distance", and change the transition distance to something small like 0.01 nm, it will fly over the current waypoint before transitioning to the next waypoint in the flight plan.

Steve

From what I've read, the GTN navigators only have flyover waypoints coded as part of a SID, STAR or Approach. I haven't found a way to change the format for regular flight plan waypoints.

Their G1000 video, although different equipment, has some similarities and talks about the Garmin philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsA3k3Ss74M

At 2:00 it mentions to do as you have said and select heading approaching the waypoint. Another way would be to make a next waypoint past the original waypoint with the same track (the required distance past would depend on the track change to the following waypoint though).

Using the G3X flight plan method sounds easier.

Sounds like a very rewarding flight!

Hopefully the G3X guys can add more info if we're missing something.

Thanks

Bob,

Don't forget that you have 2 GPS navigators in your G3X Touch aircraft. Not sure about the GTN, but when you use the G3X Touch Internal flight planning, you can adjust the leg-to-leg transitions to essentially disable turn anticipation.

Page 48 of the Rev. M G3X Touch Pilot guide describes the Navigation setting (Menu, Menu, Setup, Navigation) for the "Waypoint Transition Mode".

If you change this mode from "Auto" to "Distance", and change the transition distance to something small like 0.01 nm, it will fly over the current waypoint before transitioning to the next waypoint in the flight plan.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That?ll help

Back