What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't update, 696 & gdl39 hardwired. G3Expert Help!

tsneidin

Well Known Member
Warning to all.

I received notice on my garmin pilot(android) that there was an update available for my GLD-39, version 7.90. After successfully updating the GDL-39 my hardwired garmin 696 no longer works with the GDL-39. The 696 reports that an upgrade is required but there is no garmin update available. The GDL39 continues to work with bluetooth devices. There is no factory reset option or re-install update option on either the 696 or gdl39. My panel had been working perfectly for a long time before this and the only change was updating the gdl39 to 7.90. The 696 is on version 7.80.

I emailed and called garmin tech support and am extremely disappointed in their response, which is basically ... we are stumped and that shouldn't be that way and we'll RMA that for $275.00 (on a $539 msrp part). Their software update breaks my devices and then they want me to pay to have them fix it. G3Expert can you help resolve this issue?

oLAyzCSl.jpg

0MoK2dgl.jpg

PFzHR33l.jpg

qR9FYtUl.jpg

GPSMAP 696

Warning to all.

I received notice on my garmin pilot(android) that there was an update available for my GLD-39, version 7.90. After successfully updating the GDL-39 my hardwired garmin 696 no longer works with the GDL-39. The 696 reports that an upgrade is required but there is no garmin update available. The GDL39 continues to work with bluetooth devices. There is no factory reset option or re-install update option on either the 696 or gdl39. My panel had been working perfectly for a long time before this and the only change was updating the gdl39 to 7.90. The 696 is on version 7.80.

I emailed and called garmin tech support and am extremely disappointed in their response, which is basically ... we are stumped and that shouldn't be that way and we'll RMA that for $275.00 (on a $539 msrp part). Their software update breaks my devices and then they want me to pay to have them fix it. G3Expert can you help resolve this issue?

oLAyzCSl.jpg

0MoK2dgl.jpg

PFzHR33l.jpg

qR9FYtUl.jpg

Todd,

We are working to recreate this issue in-house. We will get back to you soon with some more information. Thank you for your patience throughout this process, we will get it sorted out.

Thanks,

Justin

Me too!

I also would like to know what the trick is to flush mounting the 696 without a panel dock !

Flush mount 696

Picture is worth a 1000 words right. The only downside is that to update the gps I do have to reach behind the panel and loosen the knob just enough to tilt the gps sideways and slide it out. This has been installed and flying this way for 9 years without issues.

t0Heww0l.jpg

Back