What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming vs. ECI vs. Superior?

RONSIM

Well Known Member
I am shopping for a 6A/7A with an I/O360 and note that engine choices among the flying aircraft are Lycoming, ECI, or Superior. If I have an ECI or Superior engine, in the event of needing parts (repair, overhaul, etc.?), will Lycoming parts be interchangeable with the ECI/Superior?

The ECi and Superior engines are made from PMA'ed parts. Meaning they are essentially Lycoming clones but without the data plate.

In fact, my ECi engine is assembled using the Lycoming overhaul manual.

Just be aware of any AD's and SB's that apply to the potential purchase and see if any you are looking at buying are affected.

In every single case....no. In most cases....yes.

If you buy a Superior engine (or ECI, or Lycoming) why not just pick up the phone and call the respective manufacturer for any needed replacement parts? You can purchase piece parts from any of them.

If you're "in the field" needing emergency replacement parts, and the local shop only has genuine Lycoming parts, refer the first line.

ECI is now delivering assembled engines. I had the opportunity to first flight a 370 stroker (205hp) in a 1124lb RV-6 yesterday. Its quite an engine. Smooth, powerful. The best power to weight in this cost class as far as I can tell.

The ECI option looks interesting. Would love to check out the 370: 205hp.

I tried sending them an email, requesting a quote. Still no response after over 2 weeks. :-(

I tried sending them an email, requesting a quote. Still no response after over 2 weeks. :-(
Pick up the phone and call them. I used to talk with Bobby Looper, one of their testers, quite regularly when I was building. Cannot reach him directly now but they will gladly direct you to the sales reps and you can talk with them on the phone about your needs. There number is 800 324-2359.

By the way, I am not affiliated with ECi in any way other than a satisfied customer.

P.S. If you need an engine shop to build your ECi engine you should consider these guys, America's Aircraft Engines. They are a great shop to work with.

Strange that you haven't got a reply back... I got one within hours when I first enquired about a new O-320. I was referred to one of their sales reps, JB, who has proven more than helpful answering my queries and sorting out the logistics of customising my engine then getting it shipped to me in Australia - where it is currently clearing Customs and should be ready for pickup this afternoon!:D You can you can try emailing him direct here. Due to the time difference, there were a couple of occasions where I'd get a reply literally within minutes to questions I'd raise.

FWIW, I ended up getting an assembled & test-run low-compression OX-340S, with dual P-Mags and automotive plugs all round for $25,600. This doesn't include a carb though, I'm going to use a Rotec TBI instead.

From another post I wrote on the subject:
ME! said:
Figured I might as well add this in here as a datapoint for those interested, having just ordered a new donk from ECI.

An OX-340S with:
  • 7.2:1 Pistons
  • Dynafocal 1 mount
  • 14mm plug bosses & automotive plugs all round
  • Dual P-Mags
  • Low-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
  • 2 hours break-in on their test cell
  • But without a carb

is going to cost me $25,604, including crating but excluding shipping - which given I live in Australia is likely to cost more than the engine anyway. :D A new carb would add ~$1,500 to the price, but I'm going to install the locally-made Rotec TBI in its place.

The -340S with the low compression pistons will allow regular running of Mogas with an increased detonation margin while still delivering ~160HP, and also fitting in the footprint of an O-320. Cheaper flying is always a good thing.

Turns out shipping cost $1,250USD via DB Schenker, for an approximately 7-day door-to-door service. Of which half is waiting for Customs clearance...WOW!

Last edited:
Back