- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentb
I had to calibrate my BMA EFIS before it would show correct TAS. The procedure is in the install manual.

Kent
Thanks. I am sure that is it. I have some sorting out to do with the BMA, EDM930, and SL30. Frankly, my analog guages work well and I have been more concerned with flying the airplane than cleaning this stuff up. I will be doing that once I follow Mel's advice and I am sure all of my issues are simple set up and calibrations. Right now, I have what I need to fly safely. Appreciate everyones help. This forum is great.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM

This is a good discussion. It is serious stuff. A friend of mine was test flying a Starduster for the builder and encountered aileron flutter at 160 MPH. The motion yanked the stick from his hand. He pulled the power and the plane stayed together. He was lucky to survive it.

A few issues back, there was a discussion of VNE in the RVATOR. I learned from it. Basically, IAS is a function of dynamic pressure. Flutter phenomenon is a function of velocity. The higher the altitude, the lower the IAS of VNE becomes. When Van assigns a value for VNE, that value covers only the realm the airplane is designed to fly in. Put in a turbocharger and take the airplane to 30,000', all bets are off.

I think, if we routinely fly beyond the limits the engineer has set for the airplane, we are in a place we shouldn't be. I know a guy who had his RV-4 to 260 MPH on several occasions. I wouldn't get in any airplane with him.

Last edited by hngrflyr : 04-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
I saw it happen once. Pieces were coming off faster than your brain could process he event. By the time it was evident what was happening, most of the empennage (rudder I believe was the source of the problem) and one wing had departed the plane. Ms. Ashley II, Reno, '99. http://www.taphilo.com/photo/reno1999.shtml
I watched that one as well, from the box seats. Virtually instant confetti. Very sad day. There were several good camera's on the aircraft when it happened, I believe the concensus from the video was elevator flutter and lose a trim tab, then runaway flutter.

Last edited by airguy : 04-17-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngrflyr
I think, if we routinely fly beyond the limits the engineer has set for the airplane, we are in a place we shouldn't be. I know a guy who had his RV-4 to 260 MPH. I wouldn't get in any airplane with him.
Assuming a stock design as engineered, yes I would agree with you. Then there are folks like Bruce Bohannon and his RV-4 - not exactly stock, but safe, when safely flown - and most definitely overpowered and capable of MUCH more than designed for originally. Van is not the ONLY guy that knows how to design airplanes - just one of the most successful.

This is the proverbial "10% factor" - you must be at least 10% smarter than the device which you are attempting to operate.

Last edited by airguy : 04-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentb
I had to calibrate my BMA EFIS before it would show correct TAS. The procedure is in the install manual.

Kent
I could not find the calibration procedure in the install manual, but the TAS is indicated in knots, not mph. I feel kind of stupid as 155 or so knots matches up really close to my indicated airspeed of 178 mph.
The unit can be recalibrated in mph, but the ground speed indication can not, so no sense in changing it. So, problem solved, or, no problem to start with I guess. Thanks for the help.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:36 AM

Default Vne exceedance

Exceede VNE by 20% no problems no flutter . Solid as a rock ! Not sure why VNE so low.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:10 AM

Ernie Gann, Fate is the Hunter, where the power being left up allowing the plane with a flaw manage to just avoid a hull loss unknowingly, comes to mind.

It's summarized in this link:

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/fate.htm

Last edited by moosepileit : 01-15-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzoo View Post
Exceede VNE by 20% no problems no flutter . Solid as a rock ! Not sure why VNE so low.
It worked this time. Next time with slightly different conditions, a bit of turbulence, temp change ect.. we might be reading about your flight on the news.
As a addition to a ancient thread you can set VNE up as TAS in the Dynon and I am sure most other EFIS units.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
. . . you can set VNE up as TAS in the Dynon and I am sure most other EFIS units.
GRT as well.

Transition student: "Why is there no yellow line in this plane? I want my yellow, I really don't like flying in the yellow."
Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzoo View Post
You got lucky. Very, very lucky.

Dave