Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2020, 04:12 PM

Default EchoUAT with SkyFYX - Internal vs External antenna?

Anyone want to discuss which way they went and why between these two antenna options?

I'm looking primarily at a fabric aircraft install for this one, so I'm thinking the internal choice would work, but the EXT antenna is $50 cheaper and seeing guys install them under fiberglass cowls, should work beautifully.

Any opinions?
Old 01-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Default Used Garmin 56 on aft fuselage for my Skyfx but

installed one in RV-4 recently and just went with provided antenna under the canopy just aft of back seat --- both work beautifully --- buddy of mine used the SKYFX-EX on his -7A, mounted on aft fuselage -- works great.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:42 AM

I have installed 2 EchoUATs and used the EXT all in one GPS kit for each. The GPSs went under the cowling in both cases. The EXT only required two small wires to pass through the firewall instead of a coax like the non-EXT. They work great.

Basically I went with the EXT kit because it is simpler and cleaner than the separate GPS/antenna non-EXT kit. The Non-EXT takes more mounting, has more connectors (points of failure) and I understand it uses a MCX Female coax connector that can be a pain and is easily disconnected and can require multiple cox adapters. The EXT kit bypasses most of this.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I have installed 2 EchoUATs and used the EXT all in one GPS kit for each. The GPSs went under the cowling in both cases. The EXT only required two small wires to pass through the firewall instead of a coax like the non-EXT. They work great.

Basically I went with the EXT kit because it is simpler and cleaner than the separate GPS/antenna non-EXT kit. The Non-EXT takes more mounting, has more connectors (points of failure) and I understand it uses a MCX Female coax connector that can be a pain and is easily disconnected and can require multiple cox adapters. The EXT kit bypasses most of this.
How are the EXT antennas holding up in the cowl? I think thatís where we will mount ours.

Just trying to sort out the EchoUAT antenna location now.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
How are the EXT antennas holding up in the cowl? I think that’s where we will mount ours.

Just trying to sort out the EchoUAT antenna location now.
They seem to be working great under the cowl. One was on the typical GPS shelf on the firewall in an RV-3. Two are on plates attached to engine mount tubes with adel clamps (RV-6A and RV-7A). The SkyFX-EXT doesn't need a ground plane. Just like a portable's GPS puck. If you look under the foam gasket on the base the white dome shell is plastic and there is a GPS potted in the center with resin. In lieu of a firewall shelf, the RV-6A had a plate mounted directly on an engine mount tube. On the RV-7A it was mounted to engine mount tubes in lieu of a firewall shelf. This position keeps the space needed to access mags, oil filter and firewall-mounted battery clear for easy maintenance while giving the GPS great coverage of the satellites. It is a very solid mounting, although the standoff bushings could be shorter if desired. The aluminum mounting plate firms up the structure and provides protection from latent heat after flight. Time will tell. This photo was taken during install and prior to routing and covering the lead wires with protective nylon sleeve.

Last edited by jliltd : 01-14-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 AM

Based on your photo, which is quite helpful BTW, I assume the directional orientation of the antenna is irrelevant?

Heat build-up is not an issue either?

George
Old 01-14-2020, 12:52 PM

Default Wing Tip

I put my SkyFYX-EXT puck in the wing tip, per recommendation from uAvionics technical advisor. No high temps. No skin penetrations. No added equipment in the cockpit. Mounted the Echo on an underwing inspection panel (again per recommendation from tech advisor). Easy access, and mounting for antenna. Wiring runs from wing tip, intercepts Echo, and continues into the panel for power. Working great.

Wayne
RV-9a
Purchased flying.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 PM

Direction of orientation is unimportant for any GPS-only antenna with respect to GPS performance. The top mount teardrop shaped antennas are profiled for minimum aerodynamic drag, but would perform just fine sideways albeit with more drag. If a GPS antenna were combined as an all-in one with other sensors (like an AHRS) then orientation would matter in most cases.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 AM

My sky view ext was mounted very much like the Jliltd photo above, very close to a Garmin ant that serves my Nav GPS (GNC 300xl). I had some trouble getting my Echo to work and in the process I increases the ground plane and separation from the other antenna.

I think this was a waste of time. I suspect it worked just fine on a small ground plane adjacent to the other antenna.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:51 AM

Here is that same RV-7A from 5 posts up after cowling it. Easy to see the SkyFX-EXT gps receiver through the oil door.