What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup alternator gasket

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
My alternator had a very small leak which looked like it was coming from the lower inboard side so I pulled it off and ordered a new gasket.

My alternator (B&C) had red circles of material on each location of the gasket holes. In order to clean the surface good, I had to remove all of those. What purpose would those serve and are they required?

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Sorry about the photo links. The

I suspect the original gasket was installed with some gasket sealant and that is what the red circles are.

When I installed mine I used the sealant recommended by B&C on both sides of the gasket prior to installation.

Last edited:
My alternator had a very small leak which looked like it was coming from the lower inboard side so I pulled it off and ordered a new gasket.

There shouldn't be any oil in that area to leak past the gasket. The oil seal on the drive shaft must be leaking and that is not good for the alternator drive coupling. It is a shear coupling and is not supposed to run in oil. You may need to give some thought to changing the oil seal as well as the gasket.

Back