What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Honeywell AML34 amp rating

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Considering the SPST version (AML34FBA4AA01) or the 2PST (AML34FBA4AC01). the SPST is significantly cheaper.

Question:
When the datasheet states 15AMP rating is it per pole?
each of the poles of the 2PST can driver 15A, or 7.5A?

Thanks!

reading over the web,
seems like its 30A . since each contact is 15A
but, its not possible to driver 30A of same source to same drain, since contact will no necessarily open/close at same time.

But switching two different sources to two different drains is possible at 15A each pole

Oren,

I think you basically have it right. From a single source you can?t depend on the current dividing equally between the two switches. It?s not only when you turn the switch on or off though. The contact resistance can be different between the two sets of contacts. That means the current division will be different between the two sets of contacts. You can do some simple Ohms Law calculations to convince yourself that this is the case.

Indeed I am convinced about not being able to accumulate amp ratign of both contacts,
However, I was surprised not to have any mentioning in the datasheet that indeed each pole is 15A. I guess it is common knowledge

Keep in mind for those switches they are AC ratings. DC is normally quite a bit lower, due to arc breaking capability, I believe. Perhaps the detail data sheets discuss this.

That being said, I've been using some AC rated toggle switches in my panel for 19 years. I believe I've replaced one or two of them in that time (1700 hours).

The current rating of an AC switch is usually based on a voltage of 120 or 240.
Lowering the voltage to 12 accomplishes the derating. As a rule of thumb, a
snap action switch can carry the same current at 12 VDC as it can at 120 VAC.
An inductive load should have an arc suppression diode across it to protect the
controlling switch from arcing. Connect the banded end of the diode to the
positive side of the inductive load.

Back