VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Question EAA Sheet Metal Basics - Worthwile??

Hi everyone... I'm new to VAF and making preps to start my build in the Spring of 2019. I'm soliciting input whether the EAA Sheet Metal Basics class is worthwhile?? Or, is just watching youtube vids and this forum ample enough to just get started and have at it? (I'm pretty handy with tools and construction but have never riveted metal.) Any thoughts?

Also...Anybody looking for a FREE helping hand with their build around the Houston Area hit me up! I'm always looking to learn from others.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

I did the sheetmetal course before starting my build and felt that it was invaluable. I considered myself a pretty handy person, but this whole business of solid rivets was totally foreign to me. Being able to get exposed to those skills under a skilled instructor was great, and I came away from the class feeling a lot more confident about building.

Since you're in the Houston area, you might consider joining us for our monthly lunch this Saturday at Weiser. We'd be happy to meet you!

Last edited by N546RV : Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Default Absolutely!

It's a great class. There's nothing like getting to try all of the tools and processes while someone is looking over your shoulder and can tell you what you're doing right and wrong. You will have insight as to the types of each tool you prefer also and what you can live without. Definitely worth the time and money.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Ditto what’s been said about the class. Couldn’t have helped me more. It really gave me the confidence to order my empennage kit within a week of the class.

I only wish they’d stay in town for a full week so I could have taken two courses!!!
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done
Wings - Under construction
YouTube Build Channel
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

I would love to meet this Saturday but duty calls at work this weekend...Hopefully sometime soon tho!
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM

If I had it to do over again, I'd do the week long classes offered by the builder assistance guys, where you pay to have them supervise you while you build most of the empennage kit.

It took me quite awhile to get the hang of it. So much so, I just plunged ahead and built the vertical stab first. Then ordered all new parts and built it again.

http://axsysair.com/classes/

Last edited by N804RV : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Old Today, 09:58 AM

Yes! Well worth it.

I brought my Van's tool box practice kit with me, and had enough time to build it after finishing the normal class projects.

The class really gave me the confidence that "Yes, I can do this".

Bought my empennage kit soon after.
Old Today, 10:24 AM

I built without any courses, because they werent available in my area when I needed them most. Of course you can do anything by reading, watching or just figuring it out yourself, but its true you dont know what you dont know. If the class is an easy option, do it for sure.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old Today, 11:42 AM

Default RE: EAA Sheet Metal Basics

I am heading up to OSH for the class Jan 26 & 27th. Cheap knowledge for $319 to start, 2 days over the weekend. Hotel Friday & Sat nights plus a visit to UW OSH to share my excitement with some college boys!

Just clearing out garage and basement space for start of 2019 RV12iS build. I'll decide what I'll require in tools from Cleveland after the class. I may pre-buy the Vans toolbox to bring with me, great advice @Dantilla

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/event/01-26-...D408DA067647C6

I may forgo the Synergy Air empennage kit in GA with confidence from the class, videos (home builders.net) and of course VAF!
Old Today, 12:16 PM

Guess I'm planning to attend the December 1-2 in Houston if anybody is interested??