VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
romanov's Avatar
romanov romanov is offline
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 64
Talking ✈ RV-14a _ Roman & Dima _ - Israel ✈

.
Introduction:
Hello to all of you - mighty airplane builders,
Today we are happy to add our progress thread
to the community forum.

So who are we?

We are two best friends since 8th grade which
makes it 25 years already (...daaa***mn we
are old!!!) and we decided to make this awesome
dream to come true.

Roman - I am a retired soft developer
and studying pilot, for that moment I have only 13
hours of Cessna 152. I hope to have my license
before the construction is done. I am huge fan of
Vans and avionics enthusiast.

Dima - A guy who is super excited
about constructing things. A GE ex-engineer (yes,
we have a local branch). Dima decided to put his
day job on hold for some months and dedicate
next months exclusively to the project.


.



18 months is the timeframe we are planning to have
the plane flying. Some will say it is optimistics for
first time builders. But we are super determined to
prove it's doable.

I think it is the first project to give a full progress
report from Israel (maybe not the only builder here,
but the only one to report here) and even though
we feel very distant from the community we are
virtually very attached. We are reading dozens of
blogs and studying from all of you so much so
sometimes it feels like we know all and each of you
personally.

The big dream for us is one day to take off from
Israel on our self-constructed RV14a to cross the
ocean and land on one of the events you guys are
organizing in U.S. Yes it is possible, the navigation
path was already planned, and what left is just to
build the plane.

Guys, please give us some spiritual support. I hope
to shake hands with all of you very soon!

P.S: Will post our first actual status update in a day or two.

Cheers.
Roman & Dima

Last edited by romanov : 06-01-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM
control control is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 585
Default

I think there was a Cozy built in Israel that flew via mainland-Europe, Island, Greenland, Canada ..... all the way to Oshkosh many years ago.

Have fun building!
__________________
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM
romanov's Avatar
romanov romanov is offline
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 64
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I think there was a Cozy built in Israel that flew via mainland-Europe, Island, Greenland, Canada ..... all the way to Oshkosh many years ago.

Have fun building!
Yep, that is the plan, I measured the
distances and really that should be doable.
Probably we will add extra tank for part of
the baggage space. It will extend the range
up to 1800 km (~1120 miles).

Thanks for the help.
- Roman.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:44 PM
mturnerb mturnerb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 835
Default

Roman and Dima: Welcome to the RV-14A world. Will you be doing a blog or online build log? If so be sure to share link with other VAF'ers so we can follow your work - it's a great way for all of us to learn and get better.

18months is very optimistic but do-able: the biggest challenge I think you'll find is getting parts in time to keep things moving when you make mistakes and have to re-order (trust me it will happen). If I had long shipping times I'd order extras of some items like standard AN bolts/nuts/washers, rivets of all common sizes, etc. You may also want to alter your production planning to consider how to keep things moving when you have waits related to replacement parts shipping. As an example - if a section is delayed waiting for a replacement part you can look ahead into the next section and start prepping/deburring/dimpling/priming parts for upcoming sections. (if you're priming - probably not truly necessary in your part of the world unless you're right on the ocean - of course Van's advises priming certain parts)
__________________
Turner Billingsley
RV-14A In Progress
N14VB Reserved
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 06-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Vlad's Avatar
Vlad Vlad is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,540
Default

Nice to have you here guys. Welcome! Good plan you have with realistic build time frame. Please keep us informed about the project.

PS: A twin piper navajo will be launching eastbound from your woods to the same destination you are planning. In 5 weeks or so. Via Russia with an Israeli RV owner on board, they will be returning via Iceland. A good source of info.
__________________
Where is N666BK?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2018, 04:05 PM
YellowPeril's Avatar
YellowPeril YellowPeril is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bowdoinham
Posts: 170
Default

Roman & Dima!

I'll be visiting Israel in October to visit with family, and I'd be interested in stopping by if it's convenient. Where is your project located?

My RV-8 has been flying for 15 years now, so the avionics have changed dramatically, but not the squeezing of rivets!

Keep at it...it's worth every minute!
__________________
Nick "Hairball" Knobil
RV8 N80549 (First Flight 2003)
Aerosport O-360A1A, Dual LS CDIs, WW200C
Bowdoinham, Maine
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 AM
romanov's Avatar
romanov romanov is offline
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 64
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPeril View Post
Roman & Dima!

I'll be visiting Israel in October to visit with family, and I'd be interested in stopping by if it's convenient. Where is your project located?

My RV-8 has been flying for 15 years now, so the avionics have changed dramatically, but not the squeezing of rivets!

Keep at it...it's worth every minute!
Hey Nick, absolutelly we will be happy to meet you
We are working in Karmiel area it's north of Israel
maybe 1.5h from Tel Aviv. The beers is on me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:58 AM
romanov's Avatar
romanov romanov is offline
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 64
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Nice to have you here guys. Welcome! Good plan you have with realistic build time frame. Please keep us informed about the project.

PS: A twin piper navajo will be launching eastbound from your woods to the same destination you are planning. In 5 weeks or so. Via Russia with an Israeli RV owner on board, they will be returning via Iceland. A good source of info.


.

Zdarova Vlad, I think two engines will be much safer. Anyway I am planning small leaps for the first time: maybe 500-800 km (300-500 miles).

By the way I am happy for any introduction to guys
in Israel that are in that game. We can be much
better connected.

I am on roman.mandeleil /on/ gmail

Last edited by romanov : 06-02-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2018, 05:15 AM
romanov's Avatar
romanov romanov is offline
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 64
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Roman and Dima:* Welcome to the RV-14A world.* Will you be doing a blog or online build log?* If so be sure to share link with other VAF'ers so we can follow your work - it's a great way for all of us to learn and get better.
Hello Turner, sure, we are going to build a
total log - it is a second priority for now cause
the actual planning and ordering is the 1st
one, but yeah I am browsing for good blog
templates from time to time. Any
recommendations here are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
18months is very optimistic but do-able: the biggest challenge I think you'll find is getting parts in time to keep things moving when you make mistakes and have to re-order (trust me it will happen).* If I had long shipping times I'd order extras of some items like standard AN bolts/nuts/washers, rivets of all common sizes, etc.** You may also want to alter your production planning to consider how to keep things moving when you have waits related to replacement parts shipping. As an example - if a section is delayed waiting for a replacement part you can look ahead into the next section and start prepping/deburring/dimpling/priming parts for upcoming sections. (if you're priming - probably not truly necessary in your part of the world unless you're right on the ocean - of course Van's advises priming certain parts)
Yeah thanks, I know we tend to think all the process will be flawless but we surelly going to ruin some aluminium. What would you order more than what you mentioned?Aditional to bolts/nuts/washers, rivets.

Priming for sure: we are on the Mediterranean,
that's not an ocean but that sea can kill any
plane in 3 years.

Last edited by romanov : 06-02-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2018, 11:59 AM
mturnerb mturnerb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanov View Post
Hello Turner, sure, we are going to build a
total log - it is a second priority for now cause
the actual planning and ordering is the 1st
one, but yeah I am browsing for good blog
templates from time to time. Any
recommendations here are welcome.



Yeah thanks, I know we tend to think all the process will be flawless but we surelly going to ruin some aluminium. What would you order more than what you mentioned?Aditional to bolts/nuts/washers, rivets.

Priming for sure: we are on the Mediterranean,
that's not an ocean but that sea can kill any
plane in 3 years.
In addition to common standard rivets in many sizes, I keep a stock of various rivets that can be substituted for standard rivets - specifically CherryMax and MK-319-BS, and extras of common size AN3 and AN4 bolts, washers, locknuts, etc. As I've gotten into the build I find more and more need to keep screws in sizes 6,8 and 10 (Countersunk and panhead, with a few washer head screws as well) and corresponding nuts/washers, plenty of extra cotter pins, etc. I'm not sure how readily available standard aircraft hardware is in your area. Van's stocks all of these items but I order quite a bit from places like Aircraft Spruce.
__________________
Turner Billingsley
RV-14A In Progress
N14VB Reserved
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.