What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polished aluminum with partial vinyl graphics question

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
Those who polished aluminum with partial vinyl graphics - how do you maintain the polish finish adjacent to the vinyl?

Can you run the Cyclo polisher up onto the vinyl graphic without damage? Or do you use some other technique?

I think it depends on the wrap material.
I have had both good and bad results when polishing near things other than paint. Some seemed all but impervious to mechanical polishing and others would remove the color if you got within a hundred yards. I guess my recommendation would be to test it in an inconspicuous area first. I just got to the point where I hand polished out a couple inches from decals etc and used the machine for the rest.

The first time I used the Cyclo I diligently placed masking tape along the edges of the vinyl graphics on my -6. But after accidentally polishing over an unmasked area, and finding after-the-fact that mineral spirits on a microfibre cloth will remove any polish residue from the vinyl, i've stopped doing that. FWIW, mineral spirits don't hurt the paint on my wingtips either. You'll want to do the wipe-down with mineral spirits after the polishing so just wipe over everything.

Oh, and I believe my vinyl was done with 3M 1080. Other materials may vary.

Back