What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gear leg tapered socket

larryj

Well Known Member
Hey Mark !
Can you tell me what the taper is in the Engine Mount for the Gear Leg ?? I think I recall hearing somewhere that it's a standard Morse taper. I am re-working my "Indy mount" and will need to touch-up these tapers with a reamer; need to buy the reamer ....... or if the ones you had haven't walked away maybe I could borrow one ???
Cheers,

Can't get there from here

Hey Larry:

The reamers are about a 4 1/2 size, which means they were all special produced for this application. I have ONE left out of the 10 or so I bought - and believe me it is near and dear.

The taper ratio is the std Morse taper, so maybe you can find us one that would fit? I'd like that!

Email me at f1boss (at) gmail dot com and we can discuss. The deposit ain't gonna be cheap at 1 AMU, but it will be refundable.

I am curious about what you are 'fixing' on an Indy mount?

Carry on!
Mark

Last edited:
taper

I believe the aircraft taper pins are 1/2 the taper rate of the "standard" morse taper like the machine tool industry uses. Better check your pin.

868RM,

They're not talking about tapered pins like you'd use to replace a boogered up bolt.

The taper they're talking about is huge, on the end of the titanium Rocket gear legs, and is integral to keeping the gear attached to the engine mount. The engine mount socket has a mating female socket for the gear leg to plug into.

taper

Thanks Vince, Right after I posted I wondered if that was the case. I think that would be a better mount than the straight bore. Thanks again Ron

Ron, you are indeed correct. The tapered socket does make a far superior mounting than the standard RV type straight tube with a bolt through it.

Once the gear legs on a Rocket set into place, there is no worry about them moving, and no bolt to shear.

Back