What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

Stabs are done!

418909_10100848350515679_1556441878_n.jpg

Fuselage kit is on the way!

Can't really show a pic, but I got confirmation today that my fuse kit is on the truck and enroute to Lewiston, New York.

Con-Way trucking wil lhave it delivered to Lewiston on Monday and I'll be down on Tuesday to pick it up!

Can't wait to be banging away again!

That's great news Don. I'm still a bit away from ordering a fuselage.

I just riveted the left wing top skins and I am now working on all the goodies inside the wing. Next week I'll probably start on the right wing.

N184RM

RV-8, Lycon IO-360, Sensenich fixed pitch, Dynon FlightDEK 180, Garmin 300XL, Dynon autopilot, Garmin 796 panel mounted, electric trims, DC load center, showplanes cowl.

Progress is good planning summer flight test.

2013-01-10_17-02-06_327.jpg

"Crazy Woman"
2013-01-19_12-45-06_666.jpg

Electronics almost complete getting ready to rivit forward skin on and install windshield.
2013-01-19_11-46-24_848.jpg

RV-8 in work
Stinson 108 Flying
Dues gladly paid

Starting the fuse!

Picked up my fuse kit in Lewiston, New York today. Boy, there's quite a bit to sort!

Hoping to be attacking that firewall sometime this coming weekend!

2a7bih2.jpg
[/IMG]

nxlk1.jpg

RV-8 Fuselage Kit

Oh sweet memories!

Started kit 80434 on September 22, 1997. I began work on the fuselage the following May after finishing the tail and wings. Back them it was called a pre-punched kit. More than 1300 flying hours later, over a little less than thirteen years, I still get a big RV grin every time I push the Doll's throttle forward, and feel the 200 horsepower Lycoming/Hartzell combo push me back in the seat for what feels more like a launching than a normal takeoff.

Building was fun. Flying is even more fun! I hope you can enjoy the entire experience as much as I have.

Cheers!

Thanks Danny,

Just finished the inventory tonight and hope to get cracking at the firewall tomorrow night. Looks like it's going to be a fun kit to do!

Don

Hung the rudder tonight. That's pretty much it for the tail until it comes time to do the fiberglass work, which I'm saving for a later date.

549425_10101100429028319_1594836502_n.jpg

RV8 Subaru STi Turbo progress

Have not posted for some time. 700+ hours into the build and a RV8 is beginning to take shape in the garage.
Engine in and running, panel nearly done, underwing radiators nearly finished and fitted. Wings nearly finished and tanks under way. Empennage finished as are all control surfaces and controls. As soon as the underwing rads are complete the wings will get closed and the fuel tanks finished and fitted. Will try to add some pics....here goes!http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...andducts007small_zps1e07c3cc.jpg?t=1362909992
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts006smallside_zps2e311ef6.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts005smallfromrear_zps8f3b4e53.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts004small_zpsec32bd13.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts003small_zpsa3b4325b.jpg
bth_Underwingrads002small_zpsd89eb4f0.jpg
bth_002030313small_zps433cdd26.jpg
bth_190small_zps138c9678.jpg

Moving Day

Last Saturday was moving day. My fuselage was loaded on the back of a tilting bed tow truck and went from my garage to a hanger in Livermore, CA LVK. I am busy polishing the wings prepartory to installation and rigging. Ten years and its getting really close.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

Have not posted for some time. 700+ hours into the build and a RV8 is beginning to take shape in the garage.
Engine in and running, panel nearly done, underwing radiators nearly finished and fitted. Wings nearly finished and tanks under way. Empennage finished as are all control surfaces and controls. As soon as the underwing rads are complete the wings will get closed and the fuel tanks finished and fitted. Will try to add some pics....here goes!http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...andducts007small_zps1e07c3cc.jpg?t=1362909992
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts006smallside_zps2e311ef6.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts005smallfromrear_zps8f3b4e53.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts004small_zpsec32bd13.jpg
bth_Ndewingradiatorsandducts003small_zpsa3b4325b.jpg
bth_Underwingrads002small_zpsd89eb4f0.jpg
bth_002030313small_zps433cdd26.jpg
bth_190small_zps138c9678.jpg

I can't get any of these links to work........ The instructions at the top left of this page are clear enough that if you are this far on your project, you will have no problem posting pictures.... Or you can get the Pizza boy to help you out..............
...................................:eek:

Just tried the links and they all work fine....don't know whats going on. Also tried thru your post gasman and they all work.

Just tried the links again. Not working....I'll try to sort it out....can build planes but computers....looks like I'll have to start eating pizza....now where are those anchovies!

Just tried the links again. Not working....I'll try to sort it out....can build planes but computers....looks like I'll have to start eating pizza....now where are those anchovies!

It is really easy. Click here..... Insert Pics and follow the instructions. If Mike can do it, you can do it..........:D

Geoff, looks like the cowl has stock inlets plus a chin inlet for the intercooler and a scoop for something on top. Why so many?

Inlet scoop on top is for intake air to engine. There is an airbox directly underneath.
The Psru is an Autoflight H6 300 unit from NewZealand. Beautifully made and works well. No issues of any sort in 150 hours of flying. I tested this engine package in another aircraft before I started building the RV8.

Inlet scoop on top is for intake air to engine. There is an airbox directly underneath.

OK, intercooler in the chin and combustion air on top. Are the standard cooling intakes still open?

BTW, nice glass work!

Hi Dan,
Yes the original intakes are still open as the airflow thru these will carry the hot cowling air out thru the bottom of the cowl and also cool the oil cooler.
Thankyou for your compliment.
Cheers

Inventoried and organized all the wing kit hardware last night. My back and butt have not yet forgiven me for the 4.5 hours I spent sitting on the living room floor...

64144_10101133363946479_336739639_n.jpg

Time to cut the canopy

It is finally time to cut the canopy. I've somewhat been working on my showplanes canopy for about the last 10 months off and on. Mostly related to interior frame contouring, all the while working on "channeling my inner Horton". With the interior frame shape there and ready for some finishing primer coats, I worked quickly through the latching mechanisms. This past Sunday, I rolled right out of bed and went straight to start slicing and dicing the Todds canopy. Notice bed head in full effect. Life is good. Later in the day I had another RV builder visit while I was trimming so he could alleviate some of the newbie fear of cutting the canopy. No big deal when you've done it before. Call me funny lookin', but the quality of the cut is proportional to how comfortable you are there sitting in front of it with all the molten plastic flying about. This is something most amateur tig welders learn quickly, right Dan :).
Oh, and I tell people that there is little more to this task than gettin' with it. "It is just a big art project." If you stand back and it looks about right, then it is. Good luck with measurements and precision.

click for more.

Build on.

Last edited:
Scott, your shop is too clean. Don't you ever spill MEK? Why doesn't overspray stick to the floor? Where are the grease spots? And why don't your bikes leak?

There's something, well.....unholy about it.

I'm giving your name to the big TV evangelist with the private "public" airport just west of Jay's place. Trust me, it's for your own good ;)

Scott, your shop is too clean. Don't you ever spill MEK? Why doesn't overspray stick to the floor? Where are the grease spots? And why don't your bikes leak?

There's something, well.....unholy about it.

I'm giving your name to the big TV evangelist with the private "public" airport just west of Jay's place. Trust me, it's for your own good ;)

Believe it or not, I have a great cleanup crew that knows where all the tools and random stuff belongs that polices the place periodically. She says something about trying to keep me from "tracking stuff in the house." She apparently doesn't like it when steel shavings off of the milling machine find their way onto the toilet seat!! I said life was good :). One of the bikes is so new that it doesn't leak. The other (Tanya's) is so old that it probably doesn't have any oil in it, and it doesn't care.

My 8 is fully wrapped in a metallic dark grey. Trying to think of which direction to go regarding stripes or just solid color?

Maybe a chrome spinner and solid chrome stripe down the side, nose to tail? Metallic red spinner with metallic red accent stripes for fuselage and wings?

Or just solid with the tail art?

Any suggestions?

4ca29771c18a27d775c1ceb8e96fdb67_zpsfd671660.jpg

I think this came out amazing. We had to plan for the rudder/vert bend and attachment point slots.

I've been using this phrase to describe aerodynamics for decades.

c53c4b0cb49b46e3be1a51de2b298ca4_zpsa79fb6f6.jpg

Last edited:
WOW...that entire plane is wrapped? Looks great!! I do think adding some red will make it pop even more. How much weight did it add vs paint? I assume you have a base coat under the wrap?

No base coat. Bare aluminum under the wrap. Another great thing about wrapping the aircraft... Zero fiberglass prep;) I hate fiberglass work.

It's half the weight of paint. Adding the red will bring up the total a few pounds to do what I want. The chrome would be minimal increase.

Kinda looking at a blank canvas with an amazing base and wondering if I go auto style with solid/chrome touches or traditional RV mixed color scheme?

It's easier when people say, "this is what I want". Dealing with my own plane... I'm kinda overwhelmed with unlimited options.

Kinda tough to spot a smoking rivet, eh?

Wouldn't think anymore then paint. It would cause a pretty obvious "bubble" to spot.

By the way, your plane is the reason I'm thinking of just sticking with the slid color... Looks great!

For sure ...

...one of those guys that builds airplanes in a surgical suite. The good news is, when you make a big mistake, you can get 100% O2 right out of the wall connector. ;)

nice 8!

Something very sinister and cool looking about that all gray 8! BTW Nice rack on the angel ... definitely will fly better with the tail art in proper proportion. Dan - Smoking rivets? there won't be no stinking smoking rivets!

I love the dark grey. Beautiful!

I toyed with trying to paint mine like the F-15E Strike Eagles with the cool dark gray paint, but didn't think I could replicate it accurately.

4taliv.jpg
Got engine mounted today finally
515us6.jpg
Sorry for the size did not know how to resize

Last edited:
Back