What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section Spacer

Mark Jackson

Patron
I bought a piece of oak to construct spacers for the center section. I measured and marked to the recommended 1.483" thickness. For grins, I measured the actual ends of the wing spars. They are thicker, on the order of 1.495" and 1.497". I plan on making the spacers the exact same thickness as the spars now.

Has anyone else seen this?

Van's support told me always "just make your parts fit your parts"...

I too made the centre section spacers match the actual spar dimensions. I used fibre board and then shimmed to the exact thickness with some layers of sheet aluminium.

Think ahead

If you are making spacers for the spar, I would think about making them so you can support the plane with them once the fuse gets together. What I mean is that it is probably better to make these spacers so they can later be used to build a fuse cart later in the build.

I made spacers, now I am making spar supports that I can use to build a sturdy fuse cart for engine and instrument installation. JMHO

Buller

I bought Buller spacers for my 7 build. He made the .005" thicker than the wing spars. Wings fit perfect. Spacers were 1.444"

Yes, I noted the discrepancy too. Made my spacers from Delrin (Acetal) to fit the wing spars, not the dimension in the instructions. Oak may not be as dimensionally stable as Delrin.

Back