What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming part failure (really ECI)

This has been reported in the past by many including one of my friend which had an ECI cylinders.

Contact Titan if you are concerned about your clips

I read this post a few weeks ago and did a little checking. Back in 2008-2009 there seems there might have been a few clips that failed. If you are flying a ECi kit engine or suspect that these clips have failed, please email our support and we will replace any broken clips you find. [email protected]
Signs will be leaking oil around seals around push tube shrouds. Remove valve cover and inspect clip under single bolt that hold clip..

:cool:

I know this is an old thread but tonight I discovered some small dents from the inside on my no 1 valve cover. Sure enough when removed, there is half of a clip laying next to the drain. All this just two days before I planed to leave for OshKosh. I thought because my engine was assembled well after this was a well known issue that I would have better or proper clips included. Wrong! All of them are of the thin type and tomorrow I will be looking for replacements. Just one more thing to do before OshKosh......

Just finished this repair. Every spring clip was broken into at least three pieces, being held in place just by the sandwich of parts in the stack. Only one lost a section and looked broken at first glance but the pieces fell apart when the bolt was loosened. Even with this, not a drop of oil escaped!

Good Find . .

Good find Paul. I am surprised that so many have failed and they are still using/selling them. What parts (brand) did you use for your engine build?

Bill,

They were supplied with the engine kit by ECI. I didn't think to look at mine because I purchased the kit after this was a known problem and assumed they wouldn't ship known bad parts. I know, dumb of me!

Trust is learned and earned.

Bill,

They were supplied with the engine kit by ECI. I didn't think to look at mine because I purchased the kit after this was a known problem and assumed they wouldn't ship known bad parts. I know, dumb of me!

Thanks, Paul. This certainly does not reflect poorly on you, not at all, but the supplier is a different matter.

Very fortunate you "checked the little things" to avoid them progressing to larger ones. This is an extremely good reminder for us, and a valuable lesson for those who are still learning. Thanks for posting.

I missed this thread before, but today I found half of one the clips lying in the bottom of my #4 cylinder valve spring area. Fortunately it was on the side opposite of the oil drain hole. I checked the other 3 and 2 of them were broke all the way through but were still barely hanging on. As soon as I loosed the nut the broken part fell out on both of them. Yikes! Going to replace them all with Lycoming. (And the nut retainers too.)

Back