What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New AF-5000 Pilots Guide Manual

Thanks, Rob. Already copied and on the way to Kinko's with it tomorrow.

Edit: Just spent some time going over the new manual. It's a significant upgrade to the previous one. Congratulations Rob to you and your team for its publication. The more I learn of this system, the more I am impressed---it is a true feat of innovation and technical wizardry. Going out with it tomorrow afternoon with the new manual on my knee!

Lee...

Last edited:
A couple questions........

I'm assuming this is conjunction with a V15.0 software release. What's the anticipated release date?

Since the current release is V13, what happened to V14? Just curious.....

We have had the new V15 software flying in three planes for the last few months. It has been flying in our RV-10 with our new Electronic circuit breaker module since the beginning of September. We also have it flying in a Canadian customers RV-10 so that we can validate the Canada XM Weather. We plan on releasing the V15 software for beta testing next week and should have the production release in the next few weeks.

Version 14 had a lot of new software to support a very specialized project that we developed an EFIS for. Since we also upgraded the Skyview network software in the release to the latest HDX V15 software it seemed to make sense to keep the versions the same.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

We have had the new V15 software flying in three planes for the last few months. It has been flying in our RV-10 with our new Electronic circuit breaker module since the beginning of September. We also have it flying in a Canadian customers RV-10 so that we can validate the Canada XM Weather. We plan on releasing the V15 software for beta testing next week and should have the production release in the next few weeks.

Version 14 had a lot of new software to support a very specialized project that we developed an EFIS for. Since we also upgraded the Skyview network software in the release to the latest HDX V15 software it seemed to make sense to keep the versions the same.

Rob Hickman

Thanks for the follow-up!

bob

Did I miss something

Did I miss an announcement on your "Electronic circuit breaker module"? This an upgrade or replacement for your advanced control module?

Lynn

Rob Hickman

We have been developing a new version of our Advanced Control Module that uses electronic circuit breakers in place of the fuses. We have been flying the new ACM-ECB version in our RV-10 for the last couple of months and it is working great. Our plan is to continue to sell both versions, they are mechanically and electrically interchangeable.

37894937026_62ea3f43b4_o.png

37917488712_c662f1e06f_o.png

26172703939_09c049bdd7_o.jpg

37895515976_9a7f068b2a_o.png

Rob Hickman

Rob,

Great to hear. Only issue I had come up with the fuse block was what happened if you overspeed the flaps and needed to reset the circuit. Was also thinking about this with trim and AP runaway, still not able to just pull the breaker on those but this does give more options.

Thanks,
Lynn

We have been developing a new version of our Advanced Control Module that uses electronic circuit breakers in place of the fuses. We have been flying the new ACM-ECB version in our RV-10 for the last couple of months and it is working great. Our plan is to continue to sell both versions, they are mechanically and electrically interchangeable.

37894937026_62ea3f43b4_o.png

37917488712_c662f1e06f_o.png

26172703939_09c049bdd7_o.jpg

37895515976_9a7f068b2a_o.png

Rob Hickman

Rob,

Great to hear. Only issue I had come up with the fuse block was what happened if you overspeed the flaps and needed to reset the circuit. Was also thinking about this with trim and AP runaway, still not able to just pull the breaker on those but this does give more options.

Thanks,
Lynn

• You can configure the ACM to not run the flaps over a set speed.
  • The Autopilot power get wired to a separate power switch on the panel that you can shut off.
  • The trim has runaway protection
  • With the ACM-ECB you can turn off or reset any of the circuits.

Rob Hickman

Thanks for the response, are you already including the new version with your quick panels, or is there a release date? Kirk had mentioned you were working on something but didn't have any additional information to share, this was Feb of this year.

Lynn

• You can configure the ACM to not run the flaps over a set speed.
  • The Autopilot power get wired to a separate power switch on the panel that you can shut off.
  • The trim has runaway protection
  • With the ACM-ECB you can turn off or reset any of the circuits.

Rob Hickman

Thanks for the response, are you already including the new version with your quick panels, or is there a release date? Kirk had mentioned you were working on something but didn't have any additional information to share, this was Feb of this year.

Lynn

It will be an upgrade option on the Quick Panels, should be available in the next few months.

Rob Hickman

The manual states that the AutoPilot IAS mode only works with the Dynon AP servos. I have the older AFS Trutrak AP and the IAS worked in previous versions. Is this functionality gone now? I see the IAS button is still enabled on the recent flight of mine, but is this no longer supported?

The manual states that the AutoPilot IAS mode only works with the Dynon AP servos. I have the older AFS Trutrak AP and the IAS worked in previous versions. Is this functionality gone now? I see the IAS button is still enabled on the recent flight of mine, but is this no longer supported?

The Trutrak AP does not directly support airspeed climbs, the EFIS will convert the desired Airspeed climb to vertical speed and send it to the AP. It works ok for most airplanes. The Dynon AP has an airspeed climb and descend mode that works a lot better.

Rob Hickman

Back