What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joining two wires to a serial PIN

bkthomps

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any documented pictures/method of joining two wires to a single DB pin?

I am thinking of stripping insulation back on the wire that has the pin crimped on it, then wrapping the wire around it, solder, then heat shrink- is that right? is there a recommended distance from the actual pin that is normal/standard for this?

anyone have pics??

Does anyone have any documented pictures/method of joining two wires to a single DB pin?

I am thinking of stripping insulation back on the wire that has the pin crimped on it, then wrapping the wire around it, solder, then heat shrink- is that right? is there a recommended distance from the actual pin that is normal/standard for this?

anyone have pics??

Not exactly what you were looking for, but very similiar. Solder sleeves are your friend. You can get them from SteinAir and ACS. Homedepot also sells them, but typically only stock larger sizes. The photo is off Stein's web site.

I typcially use a couple inch pigtail so that the connection is outside the connector. Otherwise the bulk from the splice may not fit inside the shell.

What is shown is a pigtail breaking out the shield to be connected to a ground connector.

I've used the solder sleeves to connect 2,3,4, etc wires together. It's heat shrink and solder that can be applied in a single step with a heat gun. You can get multiple sizes to accomodate the various guage and quantities of wires.

HS-SS-1_X.jpg

these are all awesome suggestions, just trying to twist my brain around what i am trying to do which is two wires to a single pin, not two pins to a single wire

(audio left/right from each dynon screen to audio panel single input L/R)

Last edited:
Why not simply splice the two wires to one and then the one to the pin/socket? This would for the case where the two wires are too large to be twisted together and then inserted into the pin/socket.

One wire into one pin as a pigtail, then "Y" it off to two wires via a solder splice outside of the connector's shell.

Edit: Doh! beaten by two minutes

Beware combining audio srcs

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure how the skyview audio out is setup but combining two audio sources should usually be done with at least a passive mixer to avoid overloading the input on your intercom/audio-panel. If it's stereo to stereo you can just put a 10k resistor inline with both your 2 left and 2 right inputs before you mix them (4 total resistors).

I suspect that, if you are connecting your sky-views (or D1x0 units) together then you only need the audio output from one of them. You might want to check with dynon support on this.

Neil

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure how the skyview audio out is setup but combining two audio sources should usually be done with at least a passive mixer to avoid overloading the input on your intercom/audio-panel. If it's stereo to stereo you can just put a 10k resistor inline with both your 2 left and 2 right inputs before you mix them (4 total resistors).

I suspect that, if you are connecting your sky-views (or D1x0 units) together then you only need the audio output from one of them. You might want to check with dynon support on this.

Neil

dynon states to connect the screen 1 L and screen 2 L together, same with R, they state if your audio panel is mono, then connect L+L+R+R all together to the single mono input, both screens must be connected to tolerate a single screen failure

Audio

Cool - I just read 4-12 of the skyview manual and it sounds like that's really what they want you to do. If you get distortion the level's are probably just a bit too high. I wonder if fail-over also handles fail-over of the sound or if it always sends from both.

I can't justify a skyview yet - I'm having too much fun hacking my D180.

Neil

Inline joining of wires

Hi All
Im struggling to find some examples online and hoping someone can help out with more detail please?
Bob has a great wallthrough linked here but its for shielded cable.
Please let me know the methods used to say join 2 non-shielded wires that are too big for crimp fitting.
Eg 2x single strand 22AWG wire into a crimp pin.
In my example wires to join are, the 2 wires coming in and 1 wire going out to a db25 crimp pin.
The Join will be located outside the plug shell. I plan on soldering and using heat shrink.
Do I strip 10mm (1/2”) of the insulation and just twist all 3 wires? This is easy to do but looks bad as all 3 wires exit the join in the same direction.
Can anyone show me a way to do this please that allows the 2 wires to come in, and one wire to come out? Ie in line

Joining 2 wires

What you are looking for is called 'window splicing'.

2-3 inches from the end of one wire strip open about 1/2" of insulation. In most wire 22 gage or larger, you can simply use a stripping tool to slide the 2-3" of insulation down to open the window. (24 gage or smaller will often break after about 1/4" is open) Strip about 3/4" of the joining wire and wrap tightly around he window. Solder using just enough solder to make the joint fast. Heat shrink the joint to insulate and provide some support.

If I am doing multiple wires in the same location such as a CAN buss daisey chain, I add a second layer of heat shrink to include both wires for extra strength.

Don't overthink it. The window splice is fine, but a bit of a pain to do when the window is farther from the end than the youtube example; too easy to nick a strand if you have to cut away the insulation. You can use a 'butt splice' & insert one wire in one end, and the other two (or three, etc) in the other end. You can do the same thing with the right kind of solder splice; they're just a bit pricey and harder to source. Or just twist the wires together in that configuration, hold them immobile & solder, followed by heat shrink. And don't get too wrapped up in a 'mechanically strong' joint, as some will advise. Any stress strong enough to separate a properly made solder joint will have long since destroyed the insulation at the pull points.

Charlie
(no major hotel chains last night, but a couple of different lives in electronics maintenance)

Back