What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final size Match drilled kits

atalla

Well Known Member
If the rv14 is cnc match drilled to final size why cant that punch tool be used for the other kits?
The program wouldn?t have to be changed other than the tool selection command. This would save hundreds of hours.
Thoughts?

It's all about tolerances. They must be tighter for the whole stackup of parts to use full size determinate assembly(DA) like the RV-14 does.

It may be possible to re-engineer an existing product to do that but it will come with significant changes.

Just as the RV-6 morphed into the RV-7 when prepunched skins gave way to a fully prepunched kit a full size DA version of the -7 would basically be a new model.

Is the 14 the only final size match drilled kit?

The RV-12 is as well.

The 14 and the 12 are the newest kits. Both have the newest technology incorporated into all of the production tooling.

There is more to accurate hole alignment than just punching the holes. On p.p. RV kit parts, the holes are punched while the part is flat. Then all of the forming is done. This requires highly accurate tooling to end up with parts that have holes positioned with a tolerance of a few thousandths of an inch.

And it works!

I was nervous when I got to the section where the tail one and QB fuselage were supposed to be joined. Imagine my amazement when it clecoed together perfectly!

Back