What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Direct manifold intake for horizontal fuel injection servo

dtw_rv6

Well Known Member
Here is my initial attempt at an improved intake for my IO-360. Right now I have the very common snorkel.

This doesn't have a filter (yet). The intent is to glue the printed pieces into a solid unit, sand smooth, then build the actual part from fiberglass.

I'm printing the components now for test fit into the cowling. I'll modify the nose length so that I end up about 1/2" behind the aft blades of the propeller. I'll also need some sort of flex connection out near the cowling intersection, but I think that will be a field mod once I start cutting the cowl.

Loosely inspired by photographs of Dave Anders' intake - I don't have much info on what his looks like inside, so I've started here. Any thoughts? The taper is 10:1 to allow for pressure recovery just prior stuffing all of the air into the fuel servo. I wonder if a flow straightener would be beneficial..... I'll definitely need an alternate air source.

otU.jpg

Last edited:
Good if filterless, but the concept constrains filter size, and cone filters are small on pleat area anyway. The result is filter loss.

Built this one early on. At 390 air volume, pressure drop was poor. Looked at larger cone filters, then rejected the whole concept.

RU3120%20Intake.jpg

PA120005.JPG

Only the flat filters have pleats 7/8" to 1" deep. If cut from the frame and spread out, the media area is huge. The goal was to see how large a flat filter I could stuff in the available space. This is a K&N 33-2124.

P5240004.JPG

Measured filter loss was less than the filterless drop published for a Bower intake, and it's always filtered....no worries.

P6260004.JPG

Another data point.

I have the SJ MK-3 FAB with the K&N E-0995 cone filter. This filter flange gets cut down to limit the diameter. The alt air flow path is not as clean as Dans, and the filter diameter is a challenge for clearance, even with the SJ cowl. At 3G's the air box touches my cowl. :(

The pressure drop has not been measured.

Back