What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna Paint?

Champ

Well Known Member
I have the GPS antenna on the glare shield. It creates an annoying glare on the windscreen at times. I know Garmin say not to paint it, but has anyone ever done this? Any particular paint spec besides flat black? I don't want to relocate the antenna.

First the caveat, I am not an EE or antenna guru.

That said, the RV-12 plans call for the Garmin GPS antenna to be mounted under the cowling which would be painted. I would think a thin coat of something with no carbon, lead, or metal flake would be fine. If it were me I would make a small cardboard cover for the antenna and paint it with a very thick coating of paint and see if it affected signal reception. Depending on how your glare shield is covered, you could velcro a thin fabric cover over the top of it.

How about black fabric or black vinyl tape? Just a thought.

I covered mine with matching fabric and it has worked without any issues.

I think, but am not sure, that the reason they don't want you to paint it is that some paints may contain metal flakes in the pigment, which could hinder GPS reception.

I also have a Garmin GPS antenna on the glare shield...painted it two thin coats of Krylon Camoflage Ultra Flat Black. Zero loss of gain. Just what I did.

I have the GPS antenna on the glare shield. It creates an annoying glare on the windscreen at times. I know Garmin say not to paint it, but has anyone ever done this? Any particular paint spec besides flat black? I don't want to relocate the antenna.

Use a latex paint. It has no additives that would cause interference with the GPS signal.

Mine is mounted under the cowl just forward of the firewall. Cowl is painted with Imron (yellow). No issues.

Painting GPS Antenna

My Garmin GPS antenna is on the glaresheild, I painted it with a 'rattle can' of Flat Black paint. I've never had any issues with poor signal quality. (Other than in areas with NOTAMS about GPS interference testing).

Why the heck doesn't Garmin offer a black antenna as a choice or make a thin black plastic cap that fits over it? Seems logical to me.

Black magic

I found a very simple solution to this annoying glare problem.

First, my wife provided me with an item (black and stretchy) from which I cut a circular section. I then put a bead of 5 minute epoxy along the base of the antenna. Drape the fabric over the antenna and pull it tight below the base. Hold it there for 5 minutes. The stretchy nature of the fabric will give you a perfect fit. (Practice this fit before you put the epoxy on the base) Then trim the excess fabric from below the base.

No more glare. And an interesting reminder.:D

My Garmin GPS antenna is on the glaresheild, I painted it with a 'rattle can' of Flat Black paint. I've never had any issues with poor signal quality. (Other than in areas with NOTAMS about GPS interference testing).

I did the same thing for my second G3X antenna (I have an antenna plugged in to each G3X screen). Just a very light coat of paint.

I've been flying like this for over a year and no problems.

Back