What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-305

leesafur

Page 24 section "B-B" shows the hole in F-305 1 1/4". Page 19 shows the same hole as 1 1/2":confused: Does anybody know what size it is?
Thanks
Lee

Last edited:
frame 305

I hope I am in time to prevent another "gotcha"

The hole size does not have to be any larger than 1-1/4" in diameter,
BUT ---------------
There is a bigger problem. The center of the hole (1-1/4) is called out to be 1-7/8" up from the bottom of the frame but that is an error as the elevator control tube passes through lower than that.

Make the hole 1-1/4" in diameter and 1-1/4" up from the bottom.:confused:

To Late

Hi Fred,
I called vans on this and talked to Ken. Told him that I'm working on a 3 and he said OH BOY! Told him the issue with the hole size on the plans and he said make the hole whatever size it needs to be. So I made the hole 1 1/4" diam. and 1 7/8" from the bottom.:(
Hows your 3 coming along?

Thats OK,:eek: you will have to move the hole down though.
If you still can, maybe the best thing to do is to continue the sides of the hole straight down to the bottom of the frame, basically the hole would look like an arched doorway. You need to have the hole large enough for room to get the push-pull tube slid in.
Another thing!
don't install per the plans dimension the alum angles that hold the bearings that are the pivot points for the "stick" weldment.
You have to measure carefully the clearance needed for the stick weldment, (where the elevator push-pull tube rod end bearing attaches) so it does not "rub" on the bottom fuselage skin.
After making sure you have clearance, THEN drill the alum angles that hold the bearings the weldment pivots on.

Dont trust any of the measurements.

Although I am only on the Empenage, I am discovering a lot of this. Basically, you have to mate things together, physically, or in your mind and then draw your own conclusions on measurements. All the more fun.

Back