VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Priopriatary Servos

Iím sure there is a way, but has anyone had any luck pairing autopilot servos with controllers of different manufacturers?

X
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM

With a few minor exceptions, each service must be tied to the same manufacturerís controller. Lots of servos look similar, but are not electronically the same. The exception if have heard of is that maybe the Trio can drive a Ana aid Servo. I donít know for sure, but I have heard that. In the experimental world, TruTrak was the main game in town for a long time. Most other auto pilot vendors modeled their servos and install kits after the TruTrak, so many look alike.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
been here awhile

The only cross compatibility I've seen is the Trio autopilots can drive the old Navaid servo in roll control. Even though the Navaid servo works with the Trio, these servos are now many years old (but my old Naviad servo is still working with the ProPilot...).

Several years ago TruTrak had a wing leveler that could also drive the Navaid servo but I think that product was discontinued.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 03-13-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 AM

As far as I am aware the MGL servos are the only types with an open protocol (for both RS232 as well as CAN bus control).
But of course, no avionics manufacturer (other than MGL) will use it. But the open protocol has enabled use of these servos in industries that have nothing to do with aviation.
So while theoretically it can be possible - reality is that most avionics manufacturers guard their protocol IP very closely. Not just for servos...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Which is sad, because I have a Dynon D10A in my -6, and would consider installing the A/P servos for it... But not if I would just have to rip them out and change them if I upgraded to a Skyview or Garmin or GRT system later.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Which is sad, because I have a Dynon D10A in my -6, and would consider installing the A/P servos for it... But not if I would just have to rip them out and change them if I upgraded to a Skyview or Garmin or GRT system later.
You could use the Dynon D-10A servos with a Dynon Skyview system.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Default TruTrak AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
...or you could go with a TruTrak system and in the future use it with any of the other EFIS vendors' systems. I use a TruTrak Vizion 385 with the GRT Horizon. The nice thing about this set-up is that it provides an additional level of redundancy over an integrated system...i.e. the TruTrak will still work even if the EFIS goes TU.

Skylor
Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
...or you could go with a TruTrak system and in the future use it with any of the other EFIS vendors' systems. I use a TruTrak Vizion 385 with the GRT Horizon. The nice thing about this set-up is that it provides an additional level of redundancy over an integrated system...i.e. the TruTrak will still work even if the EFIS goes TU.

Skylor
I'll second this vote. And I'll add that our Vizion 385 has worked perfectly, right out of the box. I configured the RS232 serial interface and that's all I've had to do to make it work perfectly. Very impressed with its performance. As with Skylor, ours is driven either by a GRT HX EFIS or (my preference) directly by a GNS480 navigator.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
True, but this kind of "locks me in" to the Dynon system, and I haven't decided that's the best way to go for someone in Canada due to the cost of maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
Also True, but then i'm throwing away capability that I already have integrated with my EFIS, and adding extra weight.

However, a dedicated A/P would be a good idea for use with a tablet-based EFIS that talks to an AHRS box. Lots to consider, optimizing the choice is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet... Well, that and the cost.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Also True, but then i'm throwing away capability that I already have integrated with my EFIS, and adding extra weight.
Maybe, maybe not. The Vizion control head only weighs a few ounces and is the only extra weight you would add with a stand-alone AP. As far as functionality goes, I’m not sure about other mfg’s but with my GRT and TruTrak, I have full AP functionality that I would otherwise have with a built in AP. I can control the AP modes from the EFIS including setting altitude or headings, following a loaded flight plan, capturing and flying an approach, etc.

Skylor