What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Night Lights

KCutri

I am looking to install position/ strobe and landing/taxi lights on my finished RV-3B. Can someone recommend the best way to go about this, and suggest products to consider? Thanks.

Keith

Landing light on RV-3

My RV-3 already had position and strobes when I bought it. Mine are cut into the wing tips. Apart from stringing the wires down the wings, It would not be a huge project, but there may be some easier options.

Mine did NOT have a landing light and I needed it to be N-VFR, so I installed a cool LED one I got from Aircraft Spruce. The amp draw is super low, and it provides more than enough light. It has a 2-position toggle switch which gives you steady light or flashing. I flash when taxiing for better visibility.

I cut mine in just above the air inlet scoop on the underside of the cowl. It fit nicely without too much fiberglass work....piece of cake.
Send me a message and I can email you the part number for the light, and send installation photos if you are interested.
[email protected]
Cheers
Dave Cronwall

Night

Night VFR Part 91 requires only a strobe and position lights. For many years a single strobe on top of the vertical fin was common on RV's.

Night VFR Part 91 requires only a strobe and position lights. For many years a single strobe on top of the vertical fin was common on RV's.

But landing/taxi lights are a good idea. In Canada you only need a landing light if you carry a passenger. I guess they don't care if you kill yourself! :rolleyes:

Back