What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

electric fuel pump problems

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
My fuel pump (40105) started failing to work from time to time requiring me to use the old hammer trick with a few taps. That worked but continued to have the problem.
So I replaced the pump. The new pump is working but is extremely noisy, especially compared to the original pump.
Anyone have some thoughts on this?
I had 400 hours on the original pump.

Did you replace it with the 40135 updated pump?
When i did it took care of all my issues with low fuel PSI issues.
Yes its a bit louder but when you start the plane up you cant hear it.
Far better pump to run by the way.

This is going to "sound" crazy, but I like the "sound" of the electric fuel pump...

My protocol for pre-flight is to pull the plane out of the hanger, raise the canopy, and turn on the Master Switch before climbing into the plane. I like to hear how the electric pump sounds when I power it up. Just a little assurance that things are starting off on the right foot. I also got into the habit of turning on both ignition switches right after I power the Master. Eliminates the dumb look when you crank the engine and it doesn't start because no spark. Been there, done that, and looked stupid. :eek:

I replaced the pump with the same model 40105 that I had purchased some time back as a backup. The replacement pump is sure more noisy.

N836BL has an electric fuel pump that sounds like a darn mini jack hammer when you flip the main switch on. Very noisy, even with headphones on.

You know when it's working, it sounds like a collapsed hydraulic valve bucket on a V8.

That is pretty much the way it sounds to me as well!
So I guess I will just have to adjust to the increase in noisy.
You can sure tell it is working!

Back