What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Avionics N16 navigation receiver

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
I am pleased to be able to announce the release of the MGL Avionics N16 navigation receiver.
Single VOR with morse station ID decoder
Single ILS (localizer and glide slope) with morse station ID decoder
Dual VOR
Single VOR and ILS (localizer and glide slope)

Works with MGL EFIS systems or one or multiple Razor or Vega control heads.
Using Razor or Vega heads forms a stand alone navigation solution (VOR CDI with OBS knob, radial and bearing readouts, ILS with localizer and glideslope needle display).

If used with any Razor or Vega head can emulate an SL30 or GNC255.

If used together with a V16 VHF transceiver forms a complete NAV/COM solution.

Did I mention the price ?
Well let me put it this way - if you had the slight suspicion that you were paying too much for a NAV radio - You were right !
N16 comes in a little cheaper than the V16 - and that is pretty low already.

More info, manuals including ICD (if you want to interface your gadgets directly) at www.mglavionics.co.za/N16.html

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Congratulations on the new product release, Rainier! It's been a LONG time coming, and a much-needed device in the market. This is very exciting indeed!

Without having to dive into the interface specs, how closely does the N16 mimic the SL30 communications protocol on the RS232 port?

This receiver is TINY compared to most, at approximately 6.5" long, 3.5" wide and 1.25" tall. This is what happens when a designer uses the most modern digital signal processing techniques. Very impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Match to the SL30 ?
This is not done through the N16 but rather via the Vega or Razor head. The N16 (and optionally the V16) in turn connect to the N16 via the CAN bus (you can have as many heads as you like).

You tell the head which protocol you would like it to emulate. The protocol is emulated pretty much exactly with the exception of items that are propriety to a specific device (there are some messages containing things like DSP version which are not applicable here so it just sends dummy info).

On the SL30 and family there is a "super flag" bit in the status message - on the Razor/Vega this is always set as it does not have a meaning here.

Frequency lists available on these protocols (VOR and ILS) are also supported although few systems would use these I suspect.

The SL30 protocol also has the COM functions - these would be filled with dummy values if you do not have a V16 connected as well. In turn if you have a V16 and no N16 and select a NAV/COM protocol the NAV parts would have the dummies.

You are not incorrect with your statement on the size. However, if you open one of these things you will see there is a lot of air inside. I am using the same housing as the V16 but for the NAV I only need the receiver part.
It is the same receiver as used in the V16 - at least the RF part which only contains one additional SAW filter for the glide slope.

The actual interesting stuff where all the NAV things happen is implemented completely in software - it is running at about 60 million floating point 64 bit operations per second to make this possible. In essence - this simulates a real analog NAV radio using maths only - it's just that the RF signals it gets are real...
The advantage is that you can do quite a few interesting things you would not consider with "real" hardware and of course it never drifts or ages...

It is a single receiver - in case when you tune into a VOR and a ILS (localizer +Glide slope) at the same time it looks at all three frequencies in rapid succession continuously - made possible with a RF stage that can change frequencies and stabilize an entire receiver chain extremely fast.
As you can tell - I have had some fun with this one (and probably got a few extra gray hairs in return - but I learned a lot. It really was not easy).

As you can see from the specs in the manual - it posts some impressive figures.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

You are justifiably proud of the N16 - it's quite an achievement, Rainier!

If I'm reading your response correctly, from a system block diagram perspective I believe what you're saying is the following...

Assuming I have a non-MGL EFIS - in this case a GRT EFIS, which can remotely control both the nav and comm sides of an SL30 directly via RS232.

If I wanted to install an N16 or V16 or both, I would need an MGL control head (Razor or Vega) between the N16/V16 and the GRT EFIS. The Razor or Vega "speaks CAN bus" to the remote radios and in turn "speaks SL30" to the EFIS so the EFIS can both control the radios and receive VOR/ILS indications for display on the EFIS.

Is my understanding correct?

I think you need to put a big label on the N16 to warn users not to open the case or they will risk letting out all that wild South African air contained in there! :)

Yes, that is correct. You need one of the heads in this case.
It is currently only in case of a MGL EFIS that you do not need a head. However, the protocol used for the V16 and N16 is in public domain so perhaps others may support it one day...

Hmm, me thinks the air is wilder in your part of the woods these days...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

You are justifiably proud of the N16 - it's quite an achievement, Rainier!

If I'm reading your response correctly, from a system block diagram perspective I believe what you're saying is the following...

Assuming I have a non-MGL EFIS - in this case a GRT EFIS, which can remotely control both the nav and comm sides of an SL30 directly via RS232.

If I wanted to install an N16 or V16 or both, I would need an MGL control head (Razor or Vega) between the N16/V16 and the GRT EFIS. The Razor or Vega "speaks CAN bus" to the remote radios and in turn "speaks SL30" to the EFIS so the EFIS can both control the radios and receive VOR/ILS indications for display on the EFIS.

Is my understanding correct?

I think you need to put a big label on the N16 to warn users not to open the case or they will risk letting out all that wild South African air contained in there! :)

yes it works with the G2 (but make sure you update the firmware to the current release) and no, you do not need a head - but if you like you can fit one (or more).

Rainier

CEO MGL Avionics

Are these available to purchase? N16 with a Vega head.
What is the cost? Thanks.

It usually takes a few weeks for these things to be available in the U.S. so the answer would be: "soon".
The Vegas are of course available as they are also used for the V16 transceiver which has been available in the U.S. for about four months now.

The price in the U.S. I cannot give you as that is not under the control of MGL Avionics. You should be able to take the price of the V16 plus a Vega as guide. The N16 is a bit cheaper than the V16.

Here in South Africa (were I control the prices) the price would be approximately $650 in U.S. currency but of course that is lower than it would be in the U.S. (as an aside, it works like that the other way around as well - U.S. made avionics is more expensive when bought here compared to buying it in the U.S. - all due to cost of the supply chain).

As an aside -although it is possible operate the N16 with one Vega I would recommend two Vegas or one Razor. Unless of course you are going to (mostly) operate the N16 from an EFIS and need the Vega to give you the SL30 protocol.

BTW, the reason the N16 does not do the SL30 protocol directly is because the protocol makes no provision for things like setting up the receiver, setting receiver volume, squelch etc. This is really the only reason we need the head in this case.
The MGL EFIS systems know how to do all these things so they do not require the head.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

That last paragraph, Rainier, is a critical link for most people to come to understand why a control head would be necessary. Thanks for the explanation.

Rainier,

I am preparing to purchase a V16 and (preferably) a Vega head. I might be able to make room for the Razor but the Vega form factor is better for my application. I do not have an EFIS.

I understand that the Vega can control a V16, or an N16, but not both at the same time. Ideally, I could switch the Vega to operate either unit in flight. It would be fine if only one radio was in use at a time. With what I've read about the ecosystem, switching between Nav and Com would appear to be a ground/setup configuration and not something that could be operationally selected during flight.

Please advise and correct my understanding if misinformed. And/or if any enhancements are forthcoming that would be applicable to use of a single Vega head.

My recommendation for the N16 and Vega heads is to use two of them dedicated to the N16 or at minimum one.

Yes - it is possible to switch a Vega between V16 (COM) and N16 (NAV) use in flight. It just a matter of selecting the desired function in the head setup menu.

Not sure if this is really that practical - I suppose if you only need occasional use of the NAV it could be OK.

If you can - try and use a Razor head instead. That is much more practical if you want to use a single head for both COM and NAV.

Rainier

I'm pretty excited about the N16 and glad to see it on the distributors self ready to sell. I have a V16 and Razor head in my plane and plan to add the N16 soon; I want to get the plane flying first. The V16 works with my GRT Sport EFIS just like I hoped it would.

Great work Rainier!

I wish MGL made an audio panel...;)

I'm pretty excited about the N16 and glad to see it on the distributors self ready to sell. I have a V16 and Razor head in my plane and plan to add the N16 soon; I want to get the plane flying first. The V16 works with my GRT Sport EFIS just like I hoped it would.

Great work Rainier!

I wish MGL made an audio panel...;)

You're in luck Rainer just announce a intercom/audio panel over on the MGL group: http://www.mglavionicsusers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3514

I have just completed the hardware development for an intercom system to be called the A16 to be added to the already existing V16 and N16 portfolio.
Using the same form factor as the V16 the A16 is a modular system typically consisting out of a A16 and a Razor for control or it can be controlled by an EFIS. As usual documentation will be made available for integration into third party systems.

The A16 offers the following:

6 place intercom (6 microphone circuits, with individual VOX).
2 circuit stereo intercom (typical use: Pilot and Pax circuit), microphones can be individually coupled to each circuit. Isolate/Join functionality.
Each circuit able to drive up to 30 aviation headsets allowing the use of passive headsets (no mic, listen only).
2 x COM radio inputs and outputs (including 2 x PTT freely assignable to the radios).
4 x Auxiliary audio inputs for use with Nav radio, DME, annunicators etc.
1 x Stereo music input (can also be assigned as additional 2 x Auxiliary inputs).
1 x Black Box flight data recording output.
1 x Cockpit voice recorder built in as standard (records radio RX as well).
1 x Bluetooth audio, stream stereo music and connect to mobile phones (can connect to audio streaming source and separate phone at the same time, allows stick mounted call answer and hangup buttons).

The A16 comes in two flavors - with or without a marker beacon receiver.

I am releasing this for production now, expect availability early 2019.

Rainier

Last edited:
rainier,
great timing on this thread. My microair tuning section is on its last legs and im looking for a new comm radio. i love what I am seeing in the V16 and the vega head will fit perfectly in the panel. now you come along with the N16 to fill the hole left by my old microair transponder!

my question is, have these radios been installed with a skyview and are there any issues with the combination. I was looking to install a dynon radio, but it would require a new panel to accept the rectangular heads that dynon uses. Plus dynon does not have a nav radio (even though i have been asking them about one for years).
since the protocol is there for the Sl-30 I assume that the freq push from the skyview will work just fine.

thanks

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

News travels fast doesn't it ?

I have no reports at all related to a Dynon system and a V16 or N16 so the correct answer is: "I do not know".
There are two ways to talk to the radios: Native and via emulation of one of the protocols originating from the old days (I.e. SL30 and others).
Native is much more powerful and complete but requires dedicated support from the EFIS manufacturer. While we have a public ICD available it is highly unlikely in my opinion that Dynon will support this in future.

The Emulation (via the head) should work however - the old SL30 protocol is very basic and does not fully cater for the capabilities of the V16/N16 combination however everything that it does support is implemented.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

To put this in simpler terms... The Dynon gear understands "SL30" communications protocol, so interfacing the radio to the Dynon will require the control head to do the translation between the MGL language (between control head and radio) and the Dynon that can only understand "SL30" language. Still leaves you with the ability to control the radio via the Dynon, but with access to fewer features than available through either an MGL EFIS or one of the MGL controllers.

Did I get that right, Rainier? (Do I get bonus points / free radios for getting it right?!?! LoL)

From reading the dynon install manual, they say the v6 and v10 do not transmit freq or status data via 232 so the skyview cannot display that info on the skyview, however, the skyview can send freq data to the mgl via sl30 protocol.Is this the same on the.v16? Or does v16 ( really the vega does the serial work I guess) send that data so skyview can display the data on it. Not having the freq on the dynon top bar is not that big of a deal, as it will be displayed on the vega, but it would be nice to have.

I have not seen any info on your site yet about the nav output of the n16, does it emulate the sl30 data output to feed the skyview hsi?

Thanks, I'm really interested in these units, they look like just what I'm looking for if I can get them to interface with the skyview.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Last edited:
Yes you are quite correct - on the V6 and V10 we only implemented the SL40 and SL30 protocol for the direction TO the radio as that would not interfere with the native protocol.

The V16 itself as you guessed does not do the SLxx protocol, it is the head that does the work. In this case the protocol is fully implemented including things like frequency list support (does not seem to be used much however).

In the head's setup menu you will find an item called EMU - here you select the kind of radio you would like the head to emulate. Currently you can choose between SL40, SL30, GTR200, GTR225 and GNC255. Of course, for the SL30 and GNC255 you would need to connect a N16 Nav radio as well.

It works as you would expect. There is one (minor) limitation though which is also mentioned in the manual: Garmin's protocols make provision for only a single CDI while the N16 supports two of them (The N16's two simultaneous NAV channels are completely equivalent and equally capable).
So the head will use the CDI from the primary channel.

A situation where you would have two CDI's is if you would have one channel tuned to a VOR (with CDI set with the OBS knob) and the second channel would be tuned to ILS. So in this case the head's display will show you two CDI (and one vertical guidance for the glide slope). You would typically use this to approach a VOR radial (VOR tuned on the primary so the connected EFIS uses this as CDI) - as you get there and the localizer is live you would then briefly push the OBS knob which flips the channels - so now the localizer will drive the CDI on the EFIS as it is now the primary.

The case where you would be looking at two VOR stations - while theoretically we could have two CDI here as well this is not that practical (since you would now need two OBS settings). In the head this is resolved by giving the primary the CDI and instead of a CDI on the secondary VOR giving you both radial and bearing. So in this case there is no issue with the protocol.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks, I think you just sold a couple of radios and Vegas heads.

Bob burns
Rv-4
N82rb

Yes you are quite correct - on the V6 and V10 we only implemented the SL40 and SL30 protocol for the direction TO the radio as that would not interfere with the native protocol.

The V16 itself as you guessed does not do the SLxx protocol, it is the head that does the work. In this case the protocol is fully implemented including things like frequency list support (does not seem to be used much however).

In the head's setup menu you will find an item called EMU - here you select the kind of radio you would like the head to emulate. Currently you can choose between SL40, SL30, GTR200, GTR225 and GNC255. Of course, for the SL30 and GNC255 you would need to connect a N16 Nav radio as well.

It works as you would expect. There is one (minor) limitation though which is also mentioned in the manual: Garmin's protocols make provision for only a single CDI while the N16 supports two of them (The N16's two simultaneous NAV channels are completely equivalent and equally capable).
So the head will use the CDI from the primary channel.

A situation where you would have two CDI's is if you would have one channel tuned to a VOR (with CDI set with the OBS knob) and the second channel would be tuned to ILS. So in this case the head's display will show you two CDI (and one vertical guidance for the glide slope). You would typically use this to approach a VOR radial (VOR tuned on the primary so the connected EFIS uses this as CDI) - as you get there and the localizer is live you would then briefly push the OBS knob which flips the channels - so now the localizer will drive the CDI on the EFIS as it is now the primary.

The case where you would be looking at two VOR stations - while theoretically we could have two CDI here as well this is not that practical (since you would now need two OBS settings). In the head this is resolved by giving the primary the CDI and instead of a CDI on the secondary VOR giving you both radial and bearing. So in this case there is no issue with the protocol.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks, I think you just sold a couple of radios and Vegas heads.

Bob burns
Rv-4
N82rb

Thanks !
Yes - the V16 is most definitely outstripping our expectations.
And from some unusual sources too. Learned it is solving a long standing problem with the Russian M14 radials - these engines, while popular powerplants have a rather bad electrical ignition noise problem which seemed all but unsolvable. Until the V16 arrived that is...
From reports it seems the old, very large and hefty Russian VHF radios could cope fairly well with this but modern radios had no chance.

Nice to get this kind of feedback - a small reward for the hard work that went into designing the V16.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I just got my v16 the other day. Have not had time to install it yet, but so far I'm very impressed.

Bob burns
Rv4 n 82rb

News travels fast doesn't it ?

I have no reports at all related to a Dynon system and a V16 or N16 so the correct answer is: "I do not know".
There are two ways to talk to the radios: Native and via emulation of one of the protocols originating from the old days (I.e. SL30 and others).
Native is much more powerful and complete but requires dedicated support from the EFIS manufacturer. While we have a public ICD available it is highly unlikely in my opinion that Dynon will support this in future.

The Emulation (via the head) should work however - the old SL30 protocol is very basic and does not fully cater for the capabilities of the V16/N16 combination however everything that it does support is implemented.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

well you do now. just finished up installing the V16 and vega head in my RV-4. works great. interfaces fine with the dynon. freq push from the skyview to the vega works perfect and the freq displays on the top bar of the skyview as it should. I have not flown it yet, but so far the audio is fantastic.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I see the V16 and heads are available at Aircraft Spruce but not the N16. Is it expected they will sell the NAV radio in the near future?

I'm still on the decision fence as to how I will equip for IFR but liking this option for a NAV and second COM vs the SL30.

Last edited:
We do not sell any product to Aircraft Spruce from here in SA so I do not know the answer.

Any MGL products sold in North America are sold by Rainbow Aircraft in Los Angeles - they do trade under our name but there is no connection between them and us other than that they distribute our products and have done so very well in my opinion for well over a decade.

Why don't you just contact them ([email protected]) ? Should be a bit cheaper I would guess.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

well you do now. just finished up installing the V16 and vega head in my RV-4. works great. interfaces fine with the dynon. freq push from the skyview to the vega works perfect and the freq displays on the top bar of the skyview as it should. I have not flown it yet, but so far the audio is fantastic.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks Bob, great to get that kind of feedback...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Interface with a Garmin 660?
How?

I may be mistaken of course but I don't think the 660 can interface to a navigation radio. It appears to be a GPS navigator hand held device similar to many of the tablet based apps.

The N16 can be used with anything that accepts the Garmin/Apollo open RS232 based navigation radio protocol (SL30 and later). Note that you need the Vega or Razor head in this case as it is the head that provides the interface. In such an environment you need the head anyway so you can setup and control the N16.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

N16 used with G3X

Hi,

I am using a G3X touch system in my Rv-10 with QTY:2 com radios. I would like to buy a NAV radio to add to this system. A friend has a NAV2000 which I know will work with the G3X. I want to verify adding an N16 with a Razor control head would also work. I would prefer to add the N16 and Razor combination for the added features of a standalone VOR/glideslope display on the Razor. However, right now I am leaning away from this option as I don't know and have not been able to find anyone who has used the N16, Razor combination successfully with the G3X touch. Can anyone help me answer the following questions?

1. If I connect the Razor (with N16 only, no V16) to the G3X touch via RS232 and SL30 protocol selected, would the G3X try to display a 3rd com radio that does not exist in addition to the two actual com radios connected via can bus to the G3X.

2. Would the G3X touch be capable of displaying both Localizer and Glideslope information from the N16 via the RS-232 connection?

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited:
N16 / Vega or N16 / Razor looks like any SL30 radio on the Rs232 link. The COM part of the protocol is fully functional - it just does not do anything due to lack of a COM radio...
NAV functions work just as before...

N16 with G3X

Hi, thanks for the response, I am excited about the N16 / Razor product. The part that I am unsure about (need clarification) is this...

Quoting Rainier (thanks for the input!) "The COM part of the protocol is fully functional - it just does not do anything due to lack of a COM radio..." My concern is what happens if I hook this to a G3X system that already has 2 COM radios? I believe the G3X is only able to accommodate 2 COM radios. Would addition of the N16/Razor look to the G3X touch as a third COM and mess something up? The text says the protocol is "fully functional".

I want to verify that "it does not do anything due to the lack of a COM radio" refers to the situation above with 2 existing com radios. I think that this is the logical explanation, but I want to make sure.

Know anyone that has done this?

Thanks again for the clarification.

Bryan

I do not know the G3X at all I am afraid but if you state that it can only support two COM radios I assume that means it has two RS232 ports available for this.
Since a NAVCOM radio shares a single RS232 feed for both COM and NAV functions I would think it unlikely that you can connect two stand alone COM radios AND a N16 at the same time.

You can only do this if one of the COM radios happens to be a V16 - in that case the V16 and N16 combination form a compatible NAV/COM on the RS232 feed of the connected Vega or Razor Control head.

HOWEVER...

You do bring up an interesting point. If your COM radio has a compatible feed (compatible meaning SL40 or GTR200 - which are slightly different) - there is no reason I can see why the head cannot take that feed on its second RS232 port and simply do a forward both ways for the COM part of the protocol while leaving the N16's NAV part intact.

I do not have such a setup here, but if you would like to I'll add that for you in the heads firmware, should not be terribly difficult. But you'll have to test it for me. You would need access to a PC or laptop with a RS232 port (USB to RS232 dongle should be fine) and you have to make up a simple cable. You will need this to be able to program new firmware into the head.
If you are game, I'll give it a go...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

N16 with single Vega

I bought a N16 and a Vega to satisfy Transport Canada IFR requirements for secondary independant nav source. I have it installed, connected and powered but cannot get it to communicate to eachother. The Vega says Com not available. Not surprising since it is not connected to a com. When I follow the instructions to change it to a nav control head I cannot get it to change in the menu. I'm able to get to "head type" menu no rotary knob action changes from com to any other setting. Any advice to get this working would be appreciated.

Assuming you are starting with the normal screen and the head thinks it is for a COM radio.

You should see a flashing message saying COM radio not detected.

Press left button to enter menu (you should now see the RX Squelch bar graph).

Trun left knob 4 clicks clockwise to get to Setup Head unit then press right knob (it has "set" above it).

Your should now see "Edit channels".

Turn left knob one click clockwise and you should get Head Type - VHF COM

Rotate right knob ("set") either clock or anti clock wise. You should be able to select: NAV Primary, NAV Secondary or NAV All.

If this is not working there may be an issue with the Vega hardware (rotary control not working). Verify this with one of the other settings like the RX Squelch mentioned above. With the RX Squelch selected turning the right knob will adjust the squelch level and you should see that on the screen.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

N16 radio

Thanks Ranier, I got the first steps correct but then my path did not follow the instructions you just provided. The manual is not clear on the buttonology for this menu sequence, or at least I didn't comprehend it properly. Since I can see where I was going wrong I suspect I'll get better results this time. I'll try it with your instructions and report back.

N16 radio

Works perfectly now! Thanks for clarifying the instructions so I could see where I was going wrong in the setup sequence.

Works perfectly now! Thanks for clarifying the instructions so I could see where I was going wrong in the setup sequence.

That's a relief !
Thank you for a bit of positive news this morning.

MGL Avionics is still under total lock down (in 4th week now). We are confined to our homes and are only allowed to get groceries or seek medical help. We hope things will get relaxed on the 4th of May. It's getting a bit long now...
Time to get back to work. Got things to do.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Vega

I am interested in the N19 for my GRT HXr and have looked at your website for the Vega. I may be missing it but cannot find how the Vega displays the nav data. I am currently only using the GRT GPS for navigation (the plane is new to me) but would like to have some ILS capabilities as I decide whether to invest in a certified GPS solution.

Also, specific solutions for the various EFIS units with links to obtain the equipment might be a good marketing move.

Thanks.
John

I am interested in the N19 for my GRT HXr and have looked at your website for the Vega. I may be missing it but cannot find how the Vega displays the nav data. I am currently only using the GRT GPS for navigation (the plane is new to me) but would like to have some ILS capabilities as I decide whether to invest in a certified GPS solution.

Also, specific solutions for the various EFIS units with links to obtain the equipment might be a good marketing move.

Thanks.
John

You will find the information you are looking for in this manual you can find on our website:

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/Docs/Vega V16-N16 manual.pdf

The second part of the manual shows the various N16 displays on the Vega.

Note for clarity sake, you can use the N16 with one or two Vega heads. The N16's secondary channel is full function - it's not just a monitoring channel so with two Vega controls it pretty much looks like you have two independent NAV radios. One Vega head is OK but the screen size is a bit limited if you really want to do serious NAV so in my view this should only be used for occasional NAV or perhaps if you are only really interested in ILS.
A single Razor display is more suited if you would like to better use both receivers but only want a single display.

Yes, you can do ILS with localizer and glide slope and at the same time tune into a VOR - so you effectively have three receivers...

Regarding marketing - well since we did our first instrument way back in 1998 - we have never done any marketing at all. It's all been "word of mouth" mostly. It helps us to keep demand low(ish) and maintain sanity.
The U.S. guys that distribute our stuff do a small amount of marketing locally but nothing much.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

N16 with single Vega

Hi Rainier,

I have the N16 working with the Vega but I am having an issue tuning the frequencies above 116. Today when I was testing it out I was trying to tune to the Edmonton VOR117.6 but I couldn't get 117. It can get anything from 108 to 116.9. I'm hoping there's a setting that I have screwed up?

Colin

Last edited:
There are two different ways to use the rotary control you can select in the setup - rotary clamp and rollover.
Pick your preference.

The Vega will not allow an illegal frequency - so when you roll up the MHZ, briefly push the knob so you can then set the KHZ after you get to 117MHZ.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

N16 with single Vega

Thanks Rainier but don't think I was clear with the explanation of my issue. I can dial up 108 to 116 MHZ. It stops there at 116 and I cannot dial 117 in the MHz. The KHz gives me full range 00 to 95.

Colin

Intercom

Can I use the same Razor head to control NAV, COM and Intercom? Will be interfaced to an AFS EFIS with one serial port set to SL30. Thanks in advance.

Can I use the same Razor head to control NAV, COM and Intercom? Will be interfaced to an AFS EFIS with one serial port set to SL30. Thanks in advance.

You will need one Razor to act as the NAV/COM and another Razor to play intercom panel.

While it would be technically possible to use a single Razor for both I have not gone that route as I don't think that would be very practical - you would need the intercom panel to be available without having to fiddle.

But you do bring up an interesting point - as you will be using an external EFIS to do most of the work (i.e. set frequencies) a Razor could be an intercom as default but revert to the NAV/COM on command temporarily if you need to do things like change volume or other settings that cannot be done in "SL30" mode.
Let me think about this one...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

You will need one Razor to act as the NAV/COM and another Razor to play intercom panel.

While it would be technically possible to use a single Razor for both I have not gone that route as I don't think that would be very practical - you would need the intercom panel to be available without having to fiddle.

But you do bring up an interesting point - as you will be using an external EFIS to do most of the work (i.e. set frequencies) a Razor could be an intercom as default but revert to the NAV/COM on command temporarily if you need to do things like change volume or other settings that cannot be done in "SL30" mode.
Let me think about this one...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I will follow the thread. Thanks.

Hi,

I am using a G3X touch system in my Rv-10 with QTY:2 com radios. I would like to buy a NAV radio to add to this system. A friend has a NAV2000 which I know will work with the G3X. I want to verify adding an N16 with a Razor control head would also work. I would prefer to add the N16 and Razor combination for the added features of a standalone VOR/glideslope display on the Razor. However, right now I am leaning away from this option as I don't know and have not been able to find anyone who has used the N16, Razor combination successfully with the G3X touch. Can anyone help me answer the following questions?

1. If I connect the Razor (with N16 only, no V16) to the G3X touch via RS232 and SL30 protocol selected, would the G3X try to display a 3rd com radio that does not exist in addition to the two actual com radios connected via can bus to the G3X.

2. Would the G3X touch be capable of displaying both Localizer and Glideslope information from the N16 via the RS-232 connection?

Thanks,

Bryan

I'm thinking of the same setup; has anyone ascertained if this scenario is supported (2x GTR200, plus 1x N16, plus 1x Razor) into a G3X system?

Back