What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone used paint schemer?

flyguy61

I'm thinking of using a design company to help plan my paint layout for my RV-10. I was looking at two companies so far. Paint Schemer and Scheme Designers. I was wondering if anyone has experience with either company or knows of a different one that they used. Not being very creative or artistic I need all the help I can get.

Finishing the wing kit, fuselage starts next month.

I just completed having my -10 painted with a scheme designed by Jonathan at Plane Schemer. I was very happy with his designs. Good communication, listened to what I was looking for and had good feedback and options.

I would recommend working with him.

E

Plus 1 on that, I had the advantage of going up to his shop for an afternoon and nailing down a design on my 10, good guy and got the tour of his paint shop, you won?t be disappointed.

I just retained Jonathan for my 10... The schemes examples I have seen have been top shelf... Excited to see what he comes up with for mine.

+2 for Jonathan

You can read my recommendation for Jonathan and Plane Schemers here and why we chose them over the other design firm. His partner Sam is doing a lot of design work too and she and my spouse are working on our RV-10 design.

Jonathan's other business, Evoke Aviation, did the painting of our RV-7A and will paint our RV-10 as well.

I cannot recommend the entire team highly enough.

Don't know where you are building, but Synergy Air in Eugene has an outstanding painter. There are other painters in that area, but their attention to detail was was not nearly as good on several of the airplanes I saw from them.

Last edited:
Wow sounds like Paint Schemers is the only way to go. I've been to Synergy in Eugene I live about 1/2 hour south of them. Eugene is my home airport. Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew. I did look at artistic aviation he does beautiful work. I'm a long way from actual painting, so I'll wait on that choice. I did want to start looking at paint schemes though.

Wow sounds like Paint Schemers is the only way to go. I've been to Synergy in Eugene I live about 1/2 hour south of them. Eugene is my home airport. Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew. I did look at artistic aviation he does beautiful work. I'm a long way from actual painting, so I'll wait on that choice. I did want to start looking at paint schemes though.

Plane Schemer - https://planeschemer.com/

I loved working with Scheme Designers. All I had going in were the general colors and the nose art. They came up with dozens of ideas for me, and then variations on the color scheme when we narrowed the design down. Once we got the final design, they gave me the specifications along with color codes that I could give to a paint shop. They also offered to cut paint masks, but I'm holding off to see what the paint shop will want when I get to that point. They also delivered digital three-views and would sell a desktop model with my scheme, which I may buy once the plane is finished. They were very easy to work with and I loved the result. I'd go with them again.

+1 for Scheme Designers

Very pleased with the process (and result) from them. Been awhile (2008 time frame). Offering to cut paint masks must be a new service from them. I had paint masks cut by Aerographics using the .pdf file from Scheme Designers. Worked well. Made the masking process a bit more tolerable, but it still took me 9 months to paint the plane.

Jonathan at paint schemers did our design on our RV 10. His paint shop, Evoke, also did the paint job. He does first rate work and great to work with.

Another vote for Plane Schemer

Jonathon and his crew did the design for my RV-7 and Glasair Sportman 2+2 on Clamar Amphibious floats. You can see pics of my Sportsman on the Evoke Aviation (his paint company) Facebook page. I can't recommend him and his team enough!!

We've had some customers use Scheme Designers at work and they were great to deal with. They are true pros to work with and will stay with a project until the customer is happy. You won't be disappointed.

Dennis Martin

Back