What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 or RV-7?

taylor1111

I'm New Here
Passed my check ride last year and purchased a Cessna 182M. Seems that all the A&Ps and IAs are busy. The plane has been waiting either for simple repairs or annual inspection. Decided to go a different route and sell the Cessna and build a RV-9. What I have noticed is that RV-7 are more popular. Why is the 7 so popular? Would it be better for resell value if I build a 7 rather than a 9?

The 7 and 9 are designed for different missions. Decide what you want. Resale value between the two is dependent on what mission the buyer is looking to achieve. In short recommend you not worry about resale as you make your decision.

Carl

The 7 and 9 are designed for different missions. Decide what you want. Resale value between the two is dependent on what mission the buyer is looking to achieve. In short recommend you not worry about resale as you make your decision.

Carl

I really wish they had a thump emoji!

Welcome to VAF. Your question of which to build has been asked a number of times. Try using the Advance Search feature to see if you can find some of the threads.

Carl's response was spot on, you need to build the plane you want and not worry about resale. After flying my -9 for 12+ years, I don't see a reason to sell it in the near future.

Get a ride in in one or both and plan for the future. If you even think you want to do acroo, go with the -7.

I was more interested in the short field capability facilitated by the very low approach speeds of the -9 than anything else. Since I installed a larger than recommended engine, my cruise speeds can be as high as 175 knots with 55 knot approach speeds. (My typical cruse speeds are between 155 and 165 knots as there is no need to push up the throttle all the way.)

Stock

I am building a bone stock 9 (io320). Nothing wrong with stock vans config. I had a few acro lessons during my journey to the private license , so I know I am not interested. If you dont know about acro, take some dual and see if there is any interest. Otherwise they say the 9 is a better cross country machine. But to each his own.

Build or buy

Hi Mark,

Welcome to VAF. Assuming you are new to reading VAF.

It seems building an RV, while employed full-time, averages 5 - 10 years. If you love building, build it. If you want to fly, buy an RV. As second or tenth owner of an Experimental US registered plane you can do anything the original builder can do, even big stuff like repair or change a wing or engine, EXCEPT for the once a year Conditional Inspection.

The builders are super people, some of us just want to fly fly fly.... Flying RVs may be for sale for a rough equivalent of the sum of the kit and component prices.

Carl

Mark, you need to contact the Air Czar, the 9A guru, and all around good guy, Vlad. He also happens to be one of Utah?s newest residents. Few people out there have more 9 experience than Vlad. Although, he will probably be along shortly to comment.

Buy don?t build

Mark welcome! All good advice above. Here is my 2 cents buy a 7 enjoy it for couple years then sell it and buy a 9. It takes a year on average to find an RV to fit your budget and requirements. If you are not into tinkering. Also there are always great machines for top dollars available if you need one tomorrow.

Let us know what you end up with. You can still fly your 182 and be part of RV community. :)

Decision

With the aid of the discussion above and reading the last three days I have made a decision. Keep the Cessna and keep flying it. In May purchase the RV-9 Empennage Kit and start. Once finished purchase the other kits until I get the need for an engine and propeller. Sell the Cessna to fund the engine and propeller. Finish and fly the RV-9

With the aid of the discussion above and reading the last three days I have made a decision. Keep the Cessna and keep flying it. In May purchase the RV-9 Empennage Kit and start. Once finished purchase the other kits until I get the need for an engine and propeller. Sell the Cessna to fund the engine and propeller. Finish and fly the RV-9

This is a good plan, and not just because it?s what I did! If, after working on the tail kit, you decide building is not for you, you can sell the tail and tools for not too much of a loss. If you like doing the work, proceed on!
PS. You may wish to call an insurance broker, now, to informally discuss rates and how much time/ratings you should get in the 182, to keep premiums manageable. Also talk about the 9a/9 (nose wheel/tail wheel) and insurance rates. (If you go with the 9 you will want to get the tailwheel endorsement before flying the 9.) And, if you want insurance to cover loss (fire, theft) while building, you can get a quote. Many RV owners use Gallagher insurance agency (I do and recommend them) but there are others, too.

Mark welcome! All good advice above. Here is my 2 cents buy a 7 enjoy it for couple years then sell it and buy a 9. It takes a year on average to find an RV to fit your budget and requirements. If you are not into tinkering. Also there are always great machines for top dollars available if you need one tomorrow.

Let us know what you end up with. You can still fly your 182 and be part of RV community. :)

7? No. 9? No. Pietenpol? Yes!

Back