What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 as the single and only instrument for VFR flying?

PaulvS

Well Known Member
I'm planning a -6A panel for basic day VFR and considering what to use for essential flight instrumentation. I'm comfortable with round gauges; would need airspeed, altitude, ball and compass, plus AH for added safety, and want to avoid a vacuum system.

It appears that a single Garmin G5 will provide all of the needed functions, plus more, so I'm wondering if there is really any need for other flight instruments in the panel? Initially, I was going to put in separate steam gauges for airspeed and altitude, plus an electronic horizon (e.g. MGL AHRS-4, uAvionix AV-20/AV-30 or Kanardia Horis). But since all of this function comes in the G5, the only possible issue I can think of is that it might be too small to see at a glance?

I'd appreciate hearing of anyone's direct experience in using the G5 as a primary instrument, and how effective it has been. Hopefully I'm not the only one wanting a simple, basic setup, there are many awesome dual EFIS IFR panels on VAF, though these are far above my needs (and budget!).

Separately, I will use an iPad or tablet for navigating. I'm not too concerned about having any backup because most of my flying will just be local in a rural area. For comms I will use a single radio with built in intercom e.g Garmin GTR 200 and engine monitoring via e.g. GRT EIS 2004/4000.

Paul, my -6 had only round VFR dials when I bought her. I then fitted a single G5 in lieu of the altimeter and flew her this way for a year. Initially I was still „glancing“ at the steam ASI, but after a couple of month realized I had „transitioned“ and was only looking at the G5 speed and else indications.
To sum it up, I was very happy and comfy with the single G5 for VFR.

Later realized I wanted more IFR capability and upgraded to today‘s config of dual G5s with batteries (and the GNX375).

Depending on the AUS requirements, you might need standby instruments or not.

Have you considered a used Dynon D180?

It is light and includes all your engine gauges along with all the flight instruments you would ever need.

I am using a G5 as a primary flight instrument, it works great. I would recommend using a back up battery also.

Paul,

If nothing else, I?d add an analog airspeed instrument. That way you can have a real instrument to land if your single G5 goes south. An iPad does not fit the bill for this. If you want a hard data point, try landing without airspeed indication (but with a safety pilot who is watching airspeed).

I run dual SkyView displays but still add the airspeed instrument. I find I use it exclusively for take offs and landings. As you are running pitot and static to the G5 anyway, this is a simple add.

Shoot fire - you need to do something with all your left over blank panel space!

Personal opinion - I would not consider a single ?does everything box? as adequate, even for just soft VFR.

Carl

GRT mini

The GRT mini makes a nice single instrument as well. Battery is built in...
And terrain warnings..

I'm planning a -6A panel for basic day VFR and considering what to use for essential flight instrumentation. I'm comfortable with round gauges; would need airspeed, altitude, ball and compass, plus AH for added safety, and want to avoid a vacuum system.

It appears that a single Garmin G5 will provide all of the needed functions, plus more, so I'm wondering if there is really any need for other flight instruments in the panel? Initially, I was going to put in separate steam gauges for airspeed and altitude, plus an electronic horizon (e.g. MGL AHRS-4, uAvionix AV-20/AV-30 or Kanardia Horis). But since all of this function comes in the G5, the only possible issue I can think of is that it might be too small to see at a glance?

I'd appreciate hearing of anyone's direct experience in using the G5 as a primary instrument, and how effective it has been. Hopefully I'm not the only one wanting a simple, basic setup, there are many awesome dual EFIS IFR panels on VAF, though these are far above my needs (and budget!).

Separately, I will use an iPad or tablet for navigating. I'm not too concerned about having any backup because most of my flying will just be local in a rural area. For comms I will use a single radio with built in intercom e.g Garmin GTR 200 and engine monitoring via e.g. GRT EIS 2004/4000.

My VFR RV-6 has been flying with a single Dynon D10 for the past many years (ever since the Dynon first came to market). The only other semi-flight instrument is the LRI indicator. Below is the way it looked a few years ago before replacing the Airmap with an iFly and the transponder with a Stratus ESG. I have never felt it needed any additional instruments for VFR flight. The G5 or a Dynon will make a great VFR panel.

panel_09-2008_big.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you all for the responses. It is helpful to get some real world experience confirmation.

Re. the suggestions for a couple of alternatives i.e. used D180 or GRT mini; there don't seem to be (m)any second hand EFIS for sale in my part of the world. The best new value from GRT appears to be the 7" Sport EX for $1500 without terrain (which I don't need for day VFR). I see Dynon website shows the D180 as a legacy product with a retail price of $3400. The engine monitor from GRT is between $500-$800 depending on model, so new GRT EFIS+EIS would be comparable I guess to second hand D180.

I like the single G5 square form factor, and also the option of how DC has two mounted in a stack to give a portrait layout.

Thanks also Stu for the link to the panel video, it was interesting to hear the explanation of the logic for the design.

Sam I see you have a Trio AP below the D10 so there is probably a little bit of "back up" in case the EFIS fails (enroute).

Thank you all for the responses. It is helpful to get some real world experience confirmation.

Re. the suggestions for a couple of alternatives i.e. used D180 or GRT mini; there don't seem to be (m)any second hand EFIS for sale in my part of the world. The best new value from GRT appears to be the 7" Sport EX for $1500 without terrain (which I don't need for day VFR). I see Dynon website shows the D180 as a legacy product with a retail price of $3400. The engine monitor from GRT is between $500-$800 depending on model, so new GRT EFIS+EIS would be comparable I guess to second hand D180.

I like the single G5 square form factor, and also the option of how DC has two mounted in a stack to give a portrait layout.

Thanks also Stu for the link to the panel video, it was interesting to hear the explanation of the logic for the design.

Sam I see you have a Trio AP below the D10 so there is probably a little bit of "back up" in case the EFIS fails (enroute).

I thought we are talking about VFR.......don’t need an auto pilot to keep the plane going straight......just look out the window. :)

If the Dynon has a backup it would be the LRI. But a proficient RV pilot should be able to make a safe daylight landing without any instruments.

Last edited:
VFR no AP

Yes the aim is VFR only. The AH and hence the G5 came about for safety in case of unexpected reduced visibility.
I am not planning on an AP but I know of others encountering "inadvertent IFR" and preferring to have the AP take the plane out of IMC, rather than hand fly it.
I haven't any experience with a LRI, closest would be an aural stall warner. If I lost the airspeed instrument on final :( I think I would refer to tacho and feel, or GPS ground speed and the wind sock, never tried it!

Last edited:
Paul,
Once you start talking about autopilot, and consideration of VFR flight into IMC then and how much safety you want for that, then the conversation changes drastically. An autopilot needs something navigate it, not an iPad but something like Garmin 660 (VFR only). With a G5, 660, 2 x Garmin autopilot servos (GSA28), and a autopilot control head like a GMC 307 or 507, you can have a nice VFR set up that can possibly get you out of trouble should you fly in to IMC under VFR. That said, you can also drive the autopilot with Nav radios like the good ol days and maybe even "legal" IFR ...I won't get too much in to that.
If you want to stay away from all Garmin, you may consider uAvionics new AV30 (i'm putting that in my Cub) but autopilot controls are to be added later and honestly I've only read that the plan is to support STec autopilots.

You best, least expensive, and heck of a capability option that is fully integrated with each other is to go the Garmin route. I had that same setup on my RV-7 before taking it out and going full IFR setup. I used all but the 660 for my future upgrade and sold the 660 here on VAF.

Get the G5, you will be happy. . . and oh, don't fly into IMC ;):D

Back