What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto prop -- Crack or just cracked paint?? Urgent help needed

Spindrift

Well Known Member
In preflighting before a long cross country from Seattle to SLC, I noticed the nickel leading edges are cracked, and one of the cracks continues through the back of the prop about 6 inches from the tip. I left Craig a message, but of course it was already after 5:00. If someone can call or text me with his cell number, I would greatly appreciate it.

five oh three 709-1492

Thanks,

Bill,

Different manufacturer but MT have a standard for 'cracks' in the gel coat covering. The Liberty XL I rented with an MT prop often had gel coat cracks that looked more sinister than they were.
You might get something from their website to help make a decision. Only you can do that with what you're seeing.

Matt

Just looked at the pictures - if that's an impact in the 2nd picture on the leading edge wait for Catto's opinion.
Matt

Ground the airplane!

I had a similar crack in the leading edge on one blade.
Is your prop, by any chance, one of the early fiberglass ones?
The fiberglass props seem to flex too much for the metal leading edge.

I have not heard of any problems with the later carbon fiber props.

Mel,

I believe it is fiberglass, not carbon fiber.

We are grounded until I talk to Craig. I do doubt seriously that the many layers of crisscrossed fiberglass could crack in a perfectly straight line perpendicular to the leading edge.

Last edited:
Mel,
I believe it is fiberglass, not carbon fiber.
We are grounded until I talk to Craig. I do doubt seriously that the many layers of crisscrossed fiberglass could crack in a perfectly straight line perpendicular to the leading edge.

But the problem comes with the possible departure of part of the leading edge in flight. That would NOT be a good thing.

Did the prudent thing

Between Mel's advice and a conversation with Randy Lervold, the clear choice was to pull the prop, box it up and ready it for shipping tomorrow. Luckily I have a refundable ticket already booked for my trip to slc. The concern was that a piece of the nickel could depart in flight, and that would not be fun!

Crack me up...

In preflighting before a long cross country from Seattle to SLC, I noticed the nickel leading edges are cracked, and one of the cracks continues through the back of the prop about 6 inches from the tip. I left Craig a message, but of course it was already after 5:00. If someone can call or text me with his cell number, I would greatly appreciate it.
five oh three 709-1492

Thanks,

Bill,

Email the pictures directly to Craig. [email protected] Having perused them I don't think you have a problem.

V/R
Smokey

PS: FYI, one of Craig's props on a Long EZ survived a exhaust pipe strike over the Rockies at 14,500' and flew on to CA not knowing it happened!

It so straight though, and centered on the screw almost like a seam.

These look to me to be lines he may have drawn to locate the hole for the screw. I have not seem a crack that straight before. I would wait to see what Craig has to say first.

Update

Hi all,

Just thought i'd give an update. As expected, Craig took very good care of me. Apparently my prop was an early retrofit of the metal leading edges, and he has since determined that the metal was fit under stress causing the cracks. He indicated the chance of delamination was minimal, but he replaced the metal with the newer configuration and had my prop back in 2 weeks. It looks brand new and the metal extends a bit further on the face and less on the back. Flew for about 1.3 today and it is very smooth. The one crack that ran through the metal and extended all the way through the back he said was in some filler used in the retrofit.

Obviously it was disappointing to have a problem, but great to have a vendor take care of it quickly. Craig Catto clearly 'gets it' and I would happily recommend him and his product highly.

Back