What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Canopy retainer

egp8111

Well Known Member
Patron
With the coming of warm weather I quickly discovered I needed to install some method of holding the canopy slightly open on the ground. After researching the various methods guys have posted on the forum, this is what I came up with:
I'm sure someone else has done this but I couldn't find any pictures. Works well, just rotate the bar in when you close the canopy.( Top screw is short with a nut that catches the instrument panel lip to keep the bar from rotating any further out.)
Only took about 30 minutes to do and should work on any 4 with the plans built canopy lock. You might have to play with some washers to get your spacing right.

Skip

I had something similar, under high revs on grass it popped off the pin and slammed the canopy open and broke the hinge.

YMMV

I've been looking for something similar to this... Is the canopy supported only on the front pin? What about the rear pin? If not the rear, is that torquing on the whole assembly? I'm thinking canopy/fiberglass cracking.

Back