What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jasper/Banff recommendations

Spindrift

Well Known Member
My wife and I are thinking about an impromptu trip in the RV from Seattle to Glacier, Banff and Jasper in a couple of weeks for about 7 days. Any recommendations on plane side camping, airports to fly in to (or avoid), hikes not to miss, rental car availability, etc.?

Thanks,

You are probably best to land at Springbank Airport CYBW which is about 10 miles west of the Calgary city limits, on the highway to Banff and Jasper. You can clear customs here and avoid the landing fees and hassles of Calgary International. Have to probably pre-arrange a rental car or get a ride or taxi into the city. Tie down space is available in various places on the airport

So many amazing hikes and things to do in this area, there are books written on the subject. It would be hard to choose and depend on your tastes and desires.

Isn't Banff for emergencies only now?

Yes. No landing, nor any facilities at the small grass strip. There is no place to land in the National Park. Ross has it right. Land at Springbank and then continue on wheels. Other alternatives would be to go outside the park, like to the Okanogan, where you can land at Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, etc. and tour there... but you don't get the majesty of the Rockies with that plan.

Or get customs at Lethbridge and fly on to Red Deer and completely avoid the Calgary airspace.

With your rental car you can do a sort of circular road tour of the two parks and end up back in Red Deer.

For a spectacular return flight, cross the Rockies to the pie place in Chilliwack near Vancouver and come back to the US in the Seattle area.

Last edited:
Just throwing out one other option; fly up the Columbia Valley, with good airports at Cranbrook, Fairmont Hot Springs, Invermere, and at the top of the valley Golden. Just a thought.

Crawford bay is a great camping spot. Right on the lake. Five minute flight to Nelson over the lake and down the river. I would say Hinton will get you close to jasper, not sure about a car. A good spot for camping and hiking in the Rockies is Ram falls. You can camp with the plane and great local sites to hike. The strip is in great shape. High density altitude, no trouble for the Rv. The Columbia valley is a great choice for many locations as mentioned. Invermere is the best stop there. Landing near the big city will be the easiest for getting a car. Calgary airspace is very friendly. Call terminal and they will take you by the hand. If you want the plane in a hanger, let me know.

I am off to Seattle in the 10 Thursday.

I am a million miles away but I concur what Ross said...........

Because I've been there.

Super nice place, great welcome,

All good people.

M

(that's the A330 man btw)

I forgot.

Banff.

OMG

I am biased because I have been there a lot of times.

Winter or summer - great place to visit, super skiing and trails.

Love the Caribou Lodge and the Fox Suites.

Or, if you want an old style luxury break - has to be Banff Springs.

Back