What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portland to New Mexico: RV-4 purchase XC

Whitman

Well Known Member
Hey All,

This is an excellent forum, thank you all for your help, I've learned so much from studying the forums the last two years and was honored to visit 52F when I was in Dallas last year. I'm an AF pilot at Cannon AFB, NM and am heading up to Portland, OR in a week to fly back my RV-4. Metal was found in the oil during the pre buy and the seller had the engine overhauled at Aerosport last month.

https://picasaweb.google.com/whit.nanna/WARV4?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTknfPO2oaOcg#5856536643653438354

The main limiting factor for my return route will be terrain clearance since I'd like to stay at 7500 and keep the engine power at 70-75% (O-320, fixed pitch whirlwind ground adjustable prop with 9:1 pistons and port and flow match cylinders).

Route: http://skyvector.com/?ll=43.2348582...K2.KCEZ:A.K2.N19:A.K2.1N1:A.K2.KSXU:A.K2.KCVN

I've got 2200+hrs with ATP license, been flying 12yrs, 80hrs tailwheel (mostly cub) but only 5 or so hours RVs so am also looking to get some front seat time before flying it back solo. If anyone in the Portland area has a RV-4 and is willing to fly an hour or two, let me know. I'd prefer not to do patterns with the new engine on my bird.

Thanks!

Whit

Hey All,

This is an excellent forum, thank you all for your help, I've learned so much from studying the forums the last two years and was honored to visit 52F when I was in Dallas last year. I'm an AF pilot at Cannon AFB, NM and am heading up to Portland, OR in a week to fly back my RV-4. Metal was found in the oil during the pre buy and the seller had the engine overhauled at Aerosport last month.

https://picasaweb.google.com/whit.nanna/WARV4?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTknfPO2oaOcg#5856536643653438354

The main limiting factor for my return route will be terrain clearance since I'd like to stay at 7500 and keep the engine power at 70-75% (O-320, fixed pitch whirlwind ground adjustable prop with 9:1 pistons and port and flow match cylinders).

Route: http://skyvector.com/?ll=43.2348582...K2.KCEZ:A.K2.N19:A.K2.1N1:A.K2.KSXU:A.K2.KCVN

I've got 2200+hrs with ATP license, been flying 12yrs, 80hrs tailwheel (mostly cub) but only 5 or so hours RVs so am also looking to get some front seat time before flying it back solo. If anyone in the Portland area has a RV-4 and is willing to fly an hour or two, let me know. I'd prefer not to do patterns with the new engine on my bird.

Thanks!

Whit
Hi Whit,
I read your e-mail to my Dad this evening (Whit is buying my Dad?s -4) and did not understand why you would want to fly my airplane, Now I understand, your wanting some stick time with some help to get current in the RV, that makes good sense however you won?t find anyone willing to do that for you in a -4 around here, none that I know of anyway, Mike is hard core booked all the time but you could ask him, there is also a guy down at Independence OR that does this type of training in a -7, I bet he would even come up, name is Gary Brown I think, I don?t know him but I?ve seen him on hear.

Hey Russ,

Maybe after the engine gets more time on it, I'll be comfortable with flying my RV-4 around the pattern but I'm trying to balance my limited RV experience with what's best for the engine and ensuring it gets the proper break-in. Hopefully your dad's able to get 10hrs on it before I fly it back as I hear the first 10 are critical. Look forward to meeting you both in just over a week.

Take Care,
Whit

Hey Russ,

Maybe after the engine gets more time on it, I'll be comfortable with flying my RV-4 around the pattern but I'm trying to balance my limited RV experience with what's best for the engine and ensuring it gets the proper break-in. Hopefully your dad's able to get 10hrs on it before I fly it back as I hear the first 10 are critical. Look forward to meeting you both in just over a week.

Take Care,
Whit

If you feel ok to fly the RV by yourself don?t do pattern work, we have many nice airports in the area, get in, fly 15 minutes or a half hour to an airport, do a full stop, taxi back and go again on to the next airport, that?s what I did when I was new to my RV, it was much better then pattern work, gives you a little time to get used to the new feelings and sounds before landing etc.

Look forward to meeting you also.

I'm so, so, so sorry....I'd have to have an RV if I was there, just to be able to escape!

My thoughts exactly! Of course, my old man was stationed in Warner Robins, GA just down the road from you so I'm sure you're aware of the feeling of being isolated!

Now wait a minute...there's always the malt shop in Portales and let's not forget an exciting fun filled weekend in Muleshoe, Tx! :eek:

Of course in an RV you're not far from Santa Fe!

Bob

My thoughts exactly! Of course, my old man was stationed in Warner Robins, GA just down the road from you so I'm sure you're aware of the feeling of being isolated!

I work in WR, but live in Macon. Macon is like Chicago compared to WR.

If terrain clearance and staying at lower altitudes are your primary concern, consider following I-5 south through the California central valley. You'd have to cross the Shasta area at the California/Oregon border, but it'd be a relatively short time at a higher altitude compared to flying over the higher terrain in Utah. Once in southern California, you could cross the pass by Bakersfield, CA. Both these high terrain crossings would minimize the time you spend over terrain which exceeds your desired cruising altitude and maximize the number of divert/emergency airfields. In the big picture, it wouldn't add that much time to your journey. (PDX-RDD-EHF-TSP-TNP-PXR-CVN) I'm sure there's a better route after Tehachapi (TSP), but this is a general idea of the route I'm referring to.

PM

Whit,

I tried to reply to your PM, but your in box is full. Assuming my plane is still at KDLS when you are ready, you are welcome to use it to do some pattern work with Brett. Its a great place to practice x-winds!

Now wait a minute...there's always the malt shop in Portales and let's not forget an exciting fun filled weekend in Muleshoe, Tx! :eek:

Of course in an RV you're not far from Santa Fe!

Bob

Hey Bob,

Portales isn't too bad now that the new brewery has opened! What field are you at near Santa Fe? I may stop there for fuel. Sandia (1N1) is looking a little narrow at only 30ft wide.

We really only have one...KSAF, towered with a few commercial flights in and out.

Fuel here tends to be a little higher. In the ALBQ area I'd check AEG (Double Eagle). Of course its always great to see an RV up here. There are a few around (like everywhere else :)). KLAM (Los Alamos) is one way in and one way out.

If you're around or come up this way give a call @ 505 231 4598...cell - although work does tend to get in the way....

Bob

Hey Bob,

Portales isn't too bad now that the new brewery has opened! What field are you at near Santa Fe? I may stop there for fuel. Sandia (1N1) is looking a little narrow at only 30ft wide.

I know a guy who flies a Cessna 195 out of 1N1, so it can't be too bad...

I'm sure it's fine. We fly the Dornier 328 (twin turboprop) in and out of a 35ft wide dirt strip routinely for training down here but it's not a tailwheel either. Figured I'd stack the deck if possible!

I'm sure it's fine. We fly the Dornier 328 (twin turboprop) in and out of a 35ft wide dirt strip routinely for training down here but it's not a tailwheel either. Figured I'd stack the deck if possible!

Not like it's ever windy in Clovis, either :)

Do you know Chris Heiserman or Tyler Flagg?

I've changed my fuel stops to Twin Lakes, ID (TWF) and Santa Rosa, NM (SXU) to get bigger runways and more options if I have maintenance issue. Anyone been to those two airports? Moab (CNY) is still my mid point refueling stop.

SXU

I've changed my fuel stops to Twin Lakes, ID (TWF) and Santa Rosa, NM (SXU) to get bigger runways and more options if I have maintenance issue. Anyone been to those two airports? Moab (CNY) is still my mid point refueling stop.

I have been through SXU in a RV-4 a couple of time and over nighted there once but it has been a while. If the wind is blowing you have a choice of two runways. Many hotels nearby for interstate drivers that want to stop short of ABQ. Small, quite operation, no complaints.

Twin Falls, ID (KTWF) has a good cafe. Can be windy, but it'll be right down one of the runways. Don(yakdriver on VAF) is based there and can get you liined up with just about anything you might need.

Landed in Tuscon last night after 4 hops and 7.6hrs of bonding with my just purchased RV-4! Getting out of Portland was challenging but after that it was smooth sailing. Fuel stop near Beale AFB then onto 29 Palms (KTNP) where I realized there was no fuel on Friday so limped over to Thermal on what I thought was low gas but it turned out I had 7.5 gallons remaining and averaged 8.1 gph on the previous 3hrs of flying.

From there good flight to Tuscon with the exception of higher than normal Oil temp. In OR it was usually around 180 degrees but it got into the dynon caution range of 220. I think the seller nailed it by saying I was running the engine hard (freshly overhauled) and as the oil level dropped it was harder to keep cool. I still landed with 6.25 qts but should've added oil at my first fuel stop. Any other options if you're running hot oil temps?

Finishing my journey home to Clovis NM tomorrow!

I still landed with 6.25 qts but should've added oil at my first fuel stop.

My last two Lycoming engines dont like to run with more than 6 qts. Any more than that and the belly will get covered in oil. As you get used to your plane you will learn all these particular things. Congrats on your purchase. Have a safe flight.

Landed in Tuscon last night after 4 hops and 7.6hrs of bonding with my just purchased RV-4! Getting out of Portland was challenging but after that it was smooth sailing. Fuel stop near Beale AFB then onto 29 Palms (KTNP) where I realized there was no fuel on Friday so limped over to Thermal on what I thought was low gas but it turned out I had 7.5 gallons remaining and averaged 8.1 gph on the previous 3hrs of flying.

From there good flight to Tuscon with the exception of higher than normal Oil temp. In OR it was usually around 180 degrees but it got into the dynon caution range of 220. I think the seller nailed it by saying I was running the engine hard (freshly overhauled) and as the oil level dropped it was harder to keep cool. I still landed with 6.25 qts but should've added oil at my first fuel stop. Any other options if you're running hot oil temps?

Finishing my journey home to Clovis NM tomorrow!
It was good to meet you Whit, I was welding all week or I would have come over and hung out some.

I imagine you were running it at 70%+ power, 220F is not actually bad at all, you can run like that all day.

Congratulations, have fun with your new RV!

Yeah, 220 should be fine. Mine is another that wants to barf up Abby more than 6qts, then holds steady after that. Should be a beautiful flight home tomorrow!

things to know

Whit,
congrats on your new buy.
I too am a fighter pilot (ret) and bought an RV-4 a few years ago.
Great machine, you will enjoy it. With that said, it is not a Viper, and frankly you can get away with things in a Viper you cannot get away with in a -4.

This is what I can tell you.
Just land it with about 75mph on the clock and then when you have it on the ground bring the tail up to almost horizontal, and ride it there with ever increasing forward stick so as to let the tail fall smoothly and softly as you lose elevator authority. I found that, with my airplane at least, I can easily PIO in the yaw axis when the tail wheel is on the ground at higher speed. When you get used to it it is not so bad, but at first, wow, you better have your calipso shoes on.
Also Mid Valley just South of ABQ is a good place to get gas. You have to go down that way anyway to dodge the manzano's and it is the best price around. South end of rwy is where you will find the tank.

Back